Monday, July 9, 2012

How To Grow Your Faith While Scrubbing the Toilet

OFHW brain

Ladies, do you ever get to the end of the day and feel like you’ve been so caught up in the very physical tasks that comprise homemaking and mothering (especially of pre-school aged children) that your mind has been left unchallenged?  Often I have the best intentions to sit down at the end of the day with a good book and learn something, but more often than not once the kiddo is in bed, the last load of laundry is folded and put away and the dishwasher is emptied, Im too pooped to process the written word.  This is part of the reason that my Get Up and At ‘Em 40 Day Challenge has been so great for me- because I am spending time in God’s word first thing in the morning when my mind is more fresh (or at least most mornings, anyway Smile ). 

OFHW theologians

But there are ways to engage your mind while doing housework that allow you to intellectually and spiritually multi-task, and I thought I would share some of my favorite ways with you.  Many of you are probably already doing these things, and I would LOVE to hear from you about how you “redeem” your time while doing the dishes, scrubbing the floor, or cleaning that toilet.  Here’s my favorite ways:

Online Sermons/Bible Teachings 

There is an absolute treasure trove of fabulous bible teaching available online today for free, and all you need is an internet connection to access it.  Of course you have to be careful and discerning about who you listen to, but I suggest you ask your friends whom you believe are mature in the faith and have your same theological leaning who they listen to, and I bet you’ll get a few great suggestions.  Here are my favorite places online to listen to God’s word being preached:

Mars Hill Church- Pastor Mark Driscoll is one of my favorite bible teachers.  He has an ability to bring fresh, relevant insights from God’s word and is unapologetically Christ-centered.  “It’s all about Jesus” as he so often says.  He has scores of sermon series available online (I can honesty say I have listened to all of them over the years…. I know, Im a sermon addict what can I tell you? ) and you can find them here. 

 

The Village Church- My other favorite Bible teacher of the moment, whom I have only discovered more recently, is Pastor Matt Chandler out of The Village Church in Dallas, Texas.  Another very vibrant, passionate teacher who makes God’s word understandable, approachable, and relevant, and I love his focus on God’s grace towards us in Christ.  You can find his sermon archive here.

Wednesdays with Beth on Life Today- Do you all know Beth Moore? Many Christian women have been blessed by Miss Beth’s teachings over the many years she has been serving, but did you know that she teaches a 20 minute lesson ever Wednesday on the tv show Life Today?  And did you also know that you can find the archive of the last four years’ content here?  Go check it out, I am sure you will be blessed.

Worship Music

This one might seem sort of obvious for any of you who have been Christians for a while and make listening to worship music a regular part of your faith journey.  But do you remember to crank it up when you’re doing the housework?  Why not redeem that time you spend scrubbing the bath tile by singing praises to the Lord and meditating on his goodness?  I find it to be so encouraging and if I listen to something good and up-tempo, it keeps me going!

My current favorites are:

Team_oh-great-is-our-god_19241_itunes_feed_image

The Sing Team

newworldson

NewWorldSon

Leeland

2009 new pic4

Robin Mark

Silence and Prayer

I admit I am newer to this one.  Usually I like noise when Im doing very physical tasks, something to keep my mind running while Im working.  But God has convicted me here recently on the importance of silence.  So many days now when Bird is taking a nap instead of cranking up Driscoll or Robin Mark, I will let the house remain completely quiet and instead focus solely on Jesus.  I am learning to love and desire more of the peace and serenity that comes into my heart and mind during these times of silence and prayer.

Good Housekeeping 1914-07

Remembering It is the Lord I am Serving 

A few weeks ago for one of my Scripture Sunday posts I shared one of my favorite verses, Colossians 3:23-24, which reminds us that whatever tasks we are called to do in our lives (and this does include folding laundry and mopping up crusted-on food from under your toddler’s dining room chair), we are to do as if we were serving the Lord.  I know it sounds simple but here recently, when I am in the midst of a task I find tiring, overwhelming, or just plain boring or unsatisfying but it is one that I know I need to do and which will serve my family, when I remember that I am ultimately serving Jesus, somehow it makes the load lighter.  Perhaps that is a fulfillment of Christ’s promise that his burden is not heavy, and that his yoke is light (Matthew 11:30).

OFHW cowgirl

So, those are my best suggestions, ladies.  Now what are yours?  How do you grow in your faith (or perhaps in other forms of knowledge… I know have also enjoyed history podcasts while cleaning) while cleaning, organizing, and cooking?  I would love to hear your tips and suggestions, and I hope you all have a blessed, productive week as homemakers.  Remember that our job is the best one in the world- we are so blessed!

Proud to be linking up today with Homemaking Link-Up at Raising Homemakers, Works For Me Wednesdays at We Are That Family, Share Your Cup Thursdays at Jann Olson’s, Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and Lattes.

7 comments:

The Accidental Housewife said...

I too feel that brain-drain at the end of a busy day. I'm not religious myself, but I do appreciate the wisdom of some religious scholars, so I will check out some of your links. Thank you!

To keep my mind in gear, I listen to TED talks while I make dinner, and I listen to our local news radio station during the day - it has in-depth world news on the hour, but then fascinating insights into other issues in between. It keeps me thinking and questioning.

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thats great, Mrs Accidental! I used to listen to a lot of news and also arts podcasts when I had an Ipod touch so I could just download apps and stream no problem. But since I misplaced it its a bit more tedious tracking such things down and I really like to spend the time growing in God's word so the sermons are great. I would really encourage you to check any of those folks out even if you're not a big church-goer... each teacher I shared there is very approachable and speaks to the modern listener. et me know if you check any of them out. :) Blessings!

Jenni said...

Thank you for sharing these resources! I am trying to get in the habit of getting up early for QT. It's difficult bc I'm still up several times a night with my daughter. :)

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I thought you might like this quote:

"I enjoy doing housework, ironing, washing, cooking, dishwashing. Whenever I get one of those questionnaires and they ask what is your profession, I always put down housewife. It's an admirable profession, why apologize for it. You aren't stupid because you're a housewife. When you're stirring the jam you can read Shakespeare."

I have to admit that most of my mental engagement during housework is secular rather than spiritual. One of my favorite things to do is to listen to an audio book (there are lots of free classics at librivox.org). I also just enjoy being alone with my thoughts. But usually I have a kid or two talking my ear off nearby!

Sarah said...

I love listening to Dr. Charles Stanley and Dr. David Jeremiah. They are very solid bible teachers. Stanley is more application and Jeremiah is more true 'study' but it is a good day after listening to them. I find any time I am relying on my own strength instead of the Spirit's, I am asking for it! My energy can only go so far. :)

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Sarah thanks so much for that great input! Ill have to check out those leads. :) Thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful input!

Emily Cook said...

I very much agree! I wrote on this too: No more Mindless Ironing!
http://www.weakandloved.com/2011/10/no-more-mindless-ironing.html

I think it is so wonderful that we live in a time when we can use technology to feel our minds and spirits while we use our hands to serve our family!

Found you from the cheerios link up- nice to meet you!
Emily
www.weakandloved.com