Confession time, ladies: I am not a morning person. Since having my daughter 26 months ago, I get up faithfully every single morning without exception (ok, that one time I had the flu and got the shakes so bad I had to get Mr. Old Fashioned to take the morning shift, but other than that, Im batting 1000!) and Im faithful to do what I HAVE to do in the morning, but if I had it my way, ladies, this is what my morning would look like:
1. Wake up (begrudgingly).
2. Get Bird up and give her a big hug (gladly, no matter the hour).
3. Make coffee and drink it.
4. Sit on the couch watching the Today show for an hour while my brain and body slowly wake up and my kid eats a nutritious meal that the Breakfast Fairy drops onto my table with no work required from me.
This last one shows how out of touch I am with reality, ladies, because I haven’t had a TV that could access the Today show for over a decade. But I said that’s what Id LIKE to do. But in reality too often my mornings have resembled this, with an often-neglected Bible open in front of me instead of Matt Lauer, and Bird watching Max and Ruby while I wake up enough to prepare that breakfast that the fairy forgot to drop by.
But not any more. I have had fits and starts in the past of more productive mornings and I ALWAYS feel better when I am disciplined enough to make them happen. So, by God’s grace I have begun a 40 Day Get Up and At ‘Em Challenge for myself, and I hope you might join me if you struggle with the morning grump and frumps like I do. And if you are one of those amazingly natural morning people, then join in, too, and leave me lots of comments to inspire me about how awesome you are.
For the last two days my mornings have looked like this, and by God’s grace, they will continue to look similar:
1. Wake at 6:20 or so, about 40 minutes before my daughter is up.
2. Make coffee, have quiet time with the Lord consisting of reading my bible, prayer, and a worship song (thanks to my cousin Leah for that last inspiration… I had never thought of incorporating music into my morning quiet time but it is AWESOME).
3. Wake Bird at 7 if she isnt already up, and let her play while I take a shower.
4. Get dressed. Ladies Im not going to lie… many mornings when I don’t have to go anywhere I am still in my PJs until like 11. I am not unproductive… Im doing stuff… but I always feel sort of blah doing it because I havent really gotten myself ready for the day.
5. Do my hair and makeup. This is another thing I am terrible about…. Ive never been much of a primper and Mr Old Fashioned likes me plain Jane and doesn't mind a pony tail so I get lazy. I feel better when I do my hair and put on some lip gloss and blush (the extent of my makeup regiment) so I need to start doing this every morning… I just feel so much better when I do.
6. Get the Apron on and Breakfast going.
Here I am, aproned and ready to go (and notice the lip gloss… va va va voom!) at 8:10The rest of my day then falls into place as it would, with my morning chores, etc, but just in the past two days I have felt way more productive and focused in doing them because Im already awake, caffeined, and most importantly, I have had a quiet, focused time with the Lord Jesus. I am not lying, ladies when I say it is a 100 percent success rate of a better day when I start my day this way. I always read my bible in the morning, but when Im trying to do it with Bird up, watching cartoons, etc, then I just don’t focus. Oh, and the added bonus of this new system is that Bird is playing in her room while I get ready and then we’re right to breakfast, so no morning cartoon, which I like better.
Now of course the plan is not to do this JUST for 40 days. The hope is that after a focused 40 day commitment, this routine will become a habit. I plan to do a blog post each Saturday during the next 40 days just updating on how its been going, the challenges the advantages, what the Lord is teaching me through this commitment and how its affecting my abilities as a homemaker.
If any of you ladies struggle as I do to get going in the morning, feel free to join me on this challenge! Please let me know if you join me and either leave me a comment each Saturday or if you do your own post, Ill link up to it back here on my page. I was thinking about trying to make a button but ladies I have no idea how to do that so if you want to, feel free to just right click and save any of the challenge photos and use it in your blog posts or on your sidebar if you feel so inclined. And your insights and stories of your morning routines are welcome at any time!
Im so excited to see what the Lord has in store for me as I seek to start my day right over the next 40 days. Won’t you join me? Blessings!Proud to be linking up today with Homemaking Link-Up at Raising Homemakers, Works For Me Wednesdays at We Are That Family, Share Your Cup Thursdays at Jann Olson’s, Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and Lattes.