Sunday, June 17, 2012

Strawberry Maple Vinaigrette

Picture 057
There is nothing more delicious and nutritious than a homemade salad dressing.  I confess we do still occasionally use bottled dressings (I cant kick my addiction to Hidden Valley Ranch as dip for my veggies, though finding a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe IS on the agenda for the near future), but by and large I use only homemade dressings on my salad.  Once you get comfortable making them you discover they are so easy and you can have a lot of fun playing around with ingredients.
Picture 040

Summer is here and that means strawberries.  You may have seen my recent post on picking strawberries, and to be sure Ill be doing more strawberry-related posts as I make jams and other seasonal delights, but for now lets take a look and this simple vinaigrette I created to accompany my Strawberry Spinach Salad.
Strawberry Maple Vinaigrette
Picture 047 Picture 049 
4-5 strawberries, hulled and cut in fours
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/5 cup red wine vinegar
1 rounded teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup (I suggest a medium or light for this recipe)
pinch of salt
Picture 050
1. In a pint-sized mason jar (or similar container), assemble all of the ingredients.
Picture 051 Picture 054
2. Using a hand-held immersion blender, carefully mix the ingredients until completely smooth (thanks to Kristin at The Seasonal Family for this tip).  If you do not own a hand-held bender, you could just as easily do this in a regular blender, or do it the old fashioned way and just mash the strawberries first and then whip in the other ingredients.
Picture 071
If you are serving the dressing on the table, you will want to put it in a pretty little decanter like the one shown above and the dressing stores nicely for 2 days or so in the refrigerator in your mason jar.
I hope you have a chance to make this light and delicious vinaigrette on one of your summer salads. 
Blessings!
Happy to be linking up today with Summer Sunday Salads over at Easy Natural Foods, Meatless Mondays at Veggie Mamma, Just Another Meatless Monday over at Hey Mom Whats for Dinner, Frugal Days and Sustainable Ways at Frugally Sustainable, Full Plate Thursdays at Mis Helen’s Country Kitchen, and Foodie Fridays at Rattlebridge Farm as well as Scratch Cookin' Tuesdays at Mrs Dull's Nourished Kitchen, eal Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Whats cooking Wednesdays at The King's Court IV, Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks,  Saturday Link and Greet at Country Mamma Cooks,  and Foodie Fridays at Simple Living with Diane Balch.

9 comments:

theoldmilkcan said...

This will make you laugh - little Aussie sitting here gasping in wonder...there are different TYPES of maple syrup? lol

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Oh that doesnt make me laugh at all! I didnt realize it myself until I moved to Ontario, Canada, which is like the Maple Syrup capital of the world. Most part of the world you just get your maple syrup and thats it. But up here there is light, medium, dark, and amber. It depends on when they take it from the tree. The light is sweeter and more maple-y, and the dark and amber is more like a carmel flavor- very strong, deep, and rich. The light and med are better when you'e using it to sweeten things. So no worries- not laughing, totally understand! :)

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food said...

Love this dressing! It sounds like you're giving me permission to pour dessert over my salad :) I'm pinning this one! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

suzyhomemaker said...

This looks great. I make all my own dressings as well and have many of them on my blog. I have been thinking of doing a strawberry vinaigrette. Maybe eventually I will get around to it.

Miz Helen said...

What a delicious Vinaigrette, I can't wait to try this one. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food said...

I have chosen to feature your salad this week! I have tweeted it, pinned it and shared it on my Facebook page. It will be featured on Summer Salad Sundays this coming Sunday. Thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again soon!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Well bless your heart, Debbie, thank you! I am so excited and honored! :)

Artsy VaVa said...

That vinaigrette sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Pinning!

Carole said...

Thanks for giving me this idea.

I found you via Foodie Friday. Sadly I missed the deadline for linking in. Have a great week.