Sunday, June 24, 2012

Roasted New Potatoes with Leeks and Tarragon

Picture 059
If you didn’t know better you would think this was a food blog, not a homemaking blog, because so many of  my posts of late are about food.  But alas… the truth is I spend the bulk of my time cooking or cleaning, and while I occasionally have something interesting to say or show you about cleaning, usually the food is a bit more exciting than the scrubbed toilet.  So hopefully you readers enjoy a good recipe!

Hollands1913-04
I made my favorite Barbq Beef Roast in the crockpot earlier in the week (each time I make it I kick myself that I didn’t take pictures because it’s a fabulously easy recipe that I need to share with you all) and I wanted some potatoes to go with.  But I just couldn’t bring myself to use my lovely new potatoes from the farmer’s market for mashers.  I wanted something a bit more exciting. I browsed around the spice drawer and tarragon called my name. I realized I was out of fresh garlic and decided that my granulated garlic would do (oh come on, don’t be a foodie snob… that’s what dried spices are for- when you’re stuck without the fresh! ).
Picture 045 
Picture 047
Roasted New Potatoes with Leeks and Tarragon
  • 8 medium new potatoes
  • Whites of two leeks
  • 1/2 Tblspoon granulated garlic
  • 1 Tblspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/8 cup butter
  • 1/8 cup EVOO
  • 1/2 Tblspoon kosher salt
  • Pepper
1. Scrub and rinse your potatoes well, but do not peel them.  Cut them into roughly 1 inch cubes.
2. Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water from the tap (let it run a minute until it gets crisp and cool) and soak your potatoes in the water for ten minutes (this takes a bit of the starch out which allows the potatoes to crisp nicely when roasted).
Picture 043
3. On a clean, lint-free paper towel, dry your potatoes on the counter.  Allow them to air about 10 minutes or so so they dry nicely. You want nice, dry potatoes for two reasons: it will help them to roast and crisp instead of steam, and it will allow the oil and seasonings to adhere better to them.
Picture 041
4. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. While the potatoes are airing, slice and dice your leeks.  In a medium saucepan, melt your butter on medium heat.  Add the leaks and sauté, stirring a bit, for two minutes.
Picture 048Picture 050
5.  Add you garlic and your tarragon, stirring well and saute for two more minutes, stirring all the white, until the tarragon is nice an aromatic but no longer.
Picture 051
6. In a large mixing bowl, add our dried potatoes and the leeks and tarragon.  Toss well.  Add your EVOO and toss.  Add more oil if needed (you want a nice sheen on the potatoes but they don’t need to be greasy).  Add salt and pepper.
Picture 057
7.  If you have parchment paper, I highly recommend lining your baking sheet with it for these potatoes to save yourself a good scrubbing later on. If no parchment paper is at hand, just add a small amount of oil to the pan before adding the taters.
Picture 056
8. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring and flipping once about 15 minutes in.  Of course watch your oven as heat my vary and you may need less time.
Picture 060
These were a hit with the hubs and even the kiddo, who usually passes on potato product of any kind, and I must say I thought they were delish.  Leftovers can be refrigerated and warmed up in the oven the next day on 400 for just a few minutes until they are warm. 
Picture 063
Bon Appetite!
Proud to be linking up today with Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey Mom Whats for Dinner, Meatless Mondays at Veggie Mamma, Makin’ You Crave Monday at Mrs. Happy Homemaker, The Gathering Spot at Mamal Diane, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays at Make Ahead Meals, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesdays and Mrs Dull’s, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace, Traditional Tuesdays at Delicious Obsessions, Homemaking Link-Up at Raising Homemakers, Healthy 2day Wednesdays at Day2Day Joys, Whats Cooking Wednesdays at Kings Court IV, Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks, Works For Me Wednesdays at We Are That Family, Full Plate Thursdays at Miz Helen’s, Share Your Cup Thursdays at Jann Olson’s, Foodie Friday with Diane Belch, and Saturday Link and Greet at Country Mamma Cooks.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This looks so good! I love anything potato! Glad I found your blog through "Blessed with Grace." I am putting this recipe on my "to-make" list. Please feel free to come over and link it up at "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I'd love to have you join us. Many blessings, Lisa

Anna said...

This looks divine! I love potato and leek in anything!!

Diane Balch said...

Leeks and tarragon sound like a great combo on potatoes.

allisamazing said...

These look delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Just pinned your great recipe, thanks for sharing on Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week end!
Miz Helen