Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Coconut Almond Muffin Topping

muffin topping
I may or may not have shared with you great bloggy friends that I hold a stay at home moms group in my home on Tuesday mornings.  Its a great time for us ladies to get together, spend a little time in the word or in fellowship (or both!), and let the kiddos play.  One of these days Ill do a post on it, its a great thing to do and if you’re a stay at home mom and feeling at all isolated, starting a moms group in your home is a wonderful way to connect with other moms and do the journey of homemaking and raising a family in community.

Picture 040
I was whipping up some blueberry muffins (trying to use up my last bag of frozen blueberries from LAST summer before this summer’s crop comes in!) and wanted a fun topping.  Arent muffins just better with a yummy topping baked in?  I came up with this, and wanted to share:
Coconut Almond Muffin Topping
  • Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • Almond slivers
  • Quick Oats
  • Brown Sugar (you could do maple syrup instead)
  • Canola oil (you could do melted butter instead)
Picture 049
You know me, Im not great about telling you measurements.  But I can tell you you want about 2 cups of topping to do a proper job of covering 12 large muffins. Experiment with your amounts, I did about equal parts of each.  You DO want the mixture to be moist and clumpy, so make sure you add enough melted butter or a light-flavored oil like canola to make it stick to the muffins and crisp up nicely.
Picture 053
By the time the muffins were done baking we were all so ready for them that I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  But I can assure you it was all golden brown and delicious. 
What do you like to use for a muffin topping? 
Happy Baking, ladies!
Proud to be linking up with Miz Helen’s Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday, Hey Mom Whats for Dinner for Just Another Meatless Monday, and Veggie Momma for Meatless Mondays.

3 comments:

Jann Olson said...

YUM! This topping sounds delicious. I knew we had a lot in common. I hold a stitching group in my home on Thursdays. Everyone brings a potluck item to share. I think we do more gabbing and eating than stitching. Oh well, we sure have a fun time. I will make these for that group sometime. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your darling post on my blog.
Hugs,
Jann

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

I love baking muffins! They're my most favorite thing ever (to eat AND bake!) One of these days, I'll share my recipe for a healthy morning muffin. But I never usually think to add a topping to my muffins. I did once on an apple-cinnamon one, which actually turned out very tasty. But yours combines my most favorite things: coconut, almond, and oats - LOVE these! Will pin this for later :) Oh, and speaking of almonds, I'm on an almond kick these days, so expect some posts on almonds in the coming days :)

Jenn said...

Oh wow - sounds yummy!