Thursday, May 31, 2012

Touched By An Angel. . .

Hi, I am Jann from Have a Daily Cup from Mrs. Olson.  I am honored to be doing a guest post for The Old Fashioned Housewife.
For quite some time I have had a love for vintage dishes.  Call me silly, but each time I find a new piece I can’t help but wonder what the person was like that this dish once belonged to.
IMG_6746
Most of my collection has been purchased from thrift stores, or estate sales.
IMG_6747

See the cream and teal tea cup? It once belonged to my MIL.
IMG_6745
Don’t you wonder if this was maybe a piece from someone’s special occasion china?
Or perhaps just part of their every day dishes.
IMG_6748
I can’t help but think that they have been touched by an angel.
Recently my hubby added some bead board and a shelf to our living room where I can display some of my treasured pieces.
IMG_6744
One of my favorite items is a tea cup and saucer which once belonged to my Aunt Viola.  As a child we would pass her home going to and from grade school.  Often my sisters and I would stop for a cup of her homemade custard.  Back then I’m sure that I did not even notice what cute dish the tasty treat was being served in.  Now, I would sit up and take notice. It would be as delightful as her delicious custard.
IMG_6743
IMG_6740
IMG_6738
IMG_6739
IMG_6741
PicMonkey Collage
IMG_6736
This platter is my latest $2 estate sale purchase.  It shows a bit of time worn damage.  That doesn’t stop me from loving it just the same.
IMG_6724 
The fact that these precious pieces of glass have been preserved reflects the love that these woman must have had for them.
IMG_6742
I hope that the next time you bring home a piece of vintage glass that you will stop and think about the woman who owned it.  I know that most of the time there is no way to know the story behind it, but oh what fun the imagination can have.
Perhaps it was touched by an angel.
Hugs,
Jann
Thanks again Nicole for letting me share with your lovely blog!

6 comments:

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Well let me be the FIRST to comment and say thank you for this GREAT post! I, too always think of the women who must have owned and treasured the second hand items I purchase. All of these dishes are great, and I agree that a little chip doesnt take away from its charm, but adds!

LOVE the bead board... oh my gosh Im drooling. Also love the doorway- wow! Thanks again for sharing all of this, Jann, we are so blessed to have you here at Old Fashioned Housewife!

Sue McPeak said...

Thanks for visiting CollectInTexas Gal's B is for Baking Bread...Then and Now post and becoming a follower. I've returned the Follow and browsed around your lovely 'Old Fashion' Blog. Your guest post is so neat with the lovely vintage dishes. I too, have a special love for them and collect them as well.

The Mama @the Tinos said...

What lovely pieces. So pretty. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I'm Jann's sister Jeanne. You are both great bloggers.

Andi said...

Beautiful dishes! I have many tea cups and whatnots that I've collected from family that want to get rid of their "junk" and even from my niece's wedding! My sister went to thrift stores & garage sales and collected over 400 cups and saucers so my niece could have tea served at her wedding. The mismatched cups and saucers and tea posts were so pretty and everyone got to take one home as their gift from the bride and groom.
Anyway, the dishes are lovely and I love you you have incorporated them into your home to be enjoyed and not packed away for "something special."

Linda Pruitt said...

These are beautiful dishes, Jann. I love them, but in this stage of life, I don't want to be responsibe to dust and clean them. My daughter is another story, she displays them everywhere and uses them! Great post!