Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Refrigerator Whiteboards

 whiteboard
Hello, ladies, I am excited to be taking part in the first-ever Tiny Tip Tuesdays blog carnival over at Nature’s Nurture.  This is a great blog for practical tips on how to live frugally and naturally; I highly recommend it. :) 
OFKitchen

I am currently working on a series of posts about how I organize, plan, shop, and prepare meals for my family in a way that keeps me sane and keeps our budget down.  Im calling the series The Old-Fashioned Kitchen, and I hope you’ll tune in with me as the posts roll out as the weeks go by.  In the spirit of Tiny Tip Tuesday, I have taken one aspect of my recent post on meal planning and decided to highlight one item I have found VERY useful in my kitchen.
May I introduce to you: the Dollar Store Magnetic Whiteboard:
Picture 001
For the low-low price of one dollar, you too can be the proud owner of one of these homely (I am not a hockey fan and dont give a hoot about the Senators) but extremely practical little white boards.  They are thin and magnetic and stick right on your refrigerator door or sides and because they are lightweight they dont move around or fall off.  Last I checked the Dollarama in our town still has them in stock, but if yours doesnt Im sure you can find something very similar at your nearest discount store.
Picture 003
So, what do I use them for? I keep two of the magnetic boards on the side of my refrigerator and I use them to keep track of the contents of both of my freezers.  We have our regular refrigerator freezer downstairs in our kitchen and we also have an apartment-sized storage freezer upstairs in one of our bedrooms (no basement in a city townhouse :) ).  I keep a running list of whatever is in either freezer, and make sure to erase items as I take them out and add the new ones as I put things in. 
  Picture 002   Picture 039
Notice they arent super pretty or attractive… Im not Martha Stewart here but this system is VERY helpful in helping me to be a frugal meal planner and to not allow things to get “lost and forgotten” in the potential wasteland that can be your freezer.  I pull these puppies down every week when I am meal planning, and I cant tell you what a help they are!
Picture 058 Picture 059
The third whiteboard I use at the very front of my refrigerator for a daily rundown of tasks I need to remember to do first thing in the morning to keep my meal planning going for the day.  Things like “pull beef" remind me I need to pull my stewing beef first thing in the morning, or even the day before, for the beef stew for dinner.  At the bottom of the wipeboard I keep a mini shopping list of things I run out of during the week.  You get the idea…  but this is very helpful for me because its right in my face first thing in the morning and helps my bird-brain remember needed food prep steps.
I hope this post has been helpful to you.  I’ve just started using this in the last few months and its been awesome.  Let me know if you do something similar or if you decide to “steal” this tiny tip from me.  I love and appreciate all of your comments and be sure to find me over at my Facebook page if you’re part of that social medium. 
See you soon and Happy Homemaking!

1 comment:

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

Oh Nicole, it's like you read my mind! I'm completely lost in trying to meal plan and freezer cook, that I just gave up for the past couple weeks. I know I need to do it, and I enjoyed it while I was keeping up with it, but I just became overwhelmed after a while...umm, whiteboards? Duhh! I mean, I have one on the fridge (can't live without it), but never thought to use it the way you've shown us here. Thanks for this! Also, the thin one make so much more sense! I have one of the thicker ones, and you're right, it slides around a lot, which is annoying! I'll have to look for those thin ones next time I'm out.

And yay, for your Facebook page! I'm going to "Like" it now...See you in Facebook land!

P.S. Thanks for linking up today!