Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Making a Spice Drawer

Picture 008
Hello ladies!  Excited to be joining Nature’s Nurture for Tiny Tip Tuesday.  Do you know Mrs. Nurture’s blog yet?  You need to go check it out.  Right now. :)
Nature's Nurture

Today Im just giving you a little peak into my spice drawer.  Be honest with me now: are your spices a mess?  Are they messily strewn about a cupboard space, making it hard to find what you want when you need it?  Mine sure have been in the past, but now I have a system I like, and it makes cooking much more enjoyable and efficient. 
Picture 050
I remember when we were first married and I was just learning to cook, I probably had four or five spices in my cupboard.  Totally manageable.  Then as time went on, I had one of those spice rack-on-a-lazy-susan deals for the counter top.  Held 16 spice jars, and that was PLENTY. 
Picture 007
But those days are long gone.  We like lots of flavour around here (see my recipes for some examples) and Im always looking for new spices (my favourite this month?  Tandoori Masala.  Mmm….).  As such, I need way more space than a pre-fab spice rack will allow.  While drawer space is VERY precious in my kitchen, I have still dedicated an entire drawer for spices.
Picture 010
I know you can buy drawer inserts that will prop your bottles up nicely, but I find laying them flat works just fine for me.  I buy most of my spices in bulk and have purchased various glass bottles over the years to hold my collection.  The few spices i have purchased in jars or tins are fit in here and there where their shape allows.
Picture 011
I organize the spices alphabetically, so when I open the door I have a good idea of where to point my eyes, and then I have the jars all labelled with a sharpie pen for quick visual reference.  It’s very handy and works great. 
Picture 016
My Spice drawer is of course centrally located in my working “triangle”- my main food prep and cooking area in between my sink and my stove.
Picture 024
So, do yourself a favour, ladies, and dedicate some drawer space for your spices and make cooking more fun.  Keep in mind that if you dont have quite as many spices as I do you could easily use a smaller drawer or a shallow basket insert inside a larger drawer to hold your collection.
What do you use to organize your spices?  Happy Cooking!


Excited to be linking up with Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays at New Nastolgia

6 comments:

Shaheen said...

You are so organised, my spice jars are all over the place. I like how you have written on the glass jars.

MamaHen said...

oh me, another great organizing idea to add to my list! :)

Mrs. Stam said...

I love spices, since we have young little goose around the house,a drawer would be practical for our family.

But I do have a full cupboard just for my spices, yes I do have that much lol

here is my post on how I organized it http://babystam.blogspot.ca/2012/04/pantry-revisited-1-year-after.html

have a great day!
Renee

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

What a great tip! I never thought of using a drawer before - so much more user-friendly and easier to see everything in a glance! Of course, my drawers are off limits as of the moment, because a certain 1-year old who shall remain nameless, makes it his daily mission to dabble (read empty and reorganize) pretty much all my drawers lol...

Now, if I can just get a drawer that's above counter height, hmmm... :P

Thanks for linking up at Tiny Tip Tuesday! Enjoy your day, hun!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thank you all so much, ladies! I too have a little turkey running around the house but thankfully she has learned that she has her drawers, and mommy has hers. :) But we'll see as she wanders towards three, that might change. :)

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.