Wednesday, April 11, 2012

All Natural Carpet Deodorizer

vacuuming

Hello ladies!  As I mentioned in a previous post, this spring I have been energized by my de-cluttering and spring cleaning projects.  One of the things that needed cleaning badly was the carpet in my daughter’s room.  My husband was in Kenya for two weeks in March, and my father in law was gracious enough to come over and help me with the carpet cleaner (no change of me getting that beast up two flights of stairs) and the steam-cleaning

vacuuming2

The only downside was that we happened to do the carpet cleaning during an especially warm week in march, and I think the carpet was just too thick to dry quickly enough.  Because of this, while it was clean it had just a bit of a musty smell when it was dried.  I wanted to do something to freshen up the carpet but I didnt want to use a store-bought product that likely had lots of chemicals in it that a little two year old should not be crawling around in.

I looked it up online, and found a number of suggestions, which I combined into my own variation on the all-natural carpet deodorizer and I came up with this:

Picture 008  Picture 011  Picture 012

Baking soda

Lavender

Body Shoppe Dewberry Scented oil

  Picture 010

This was a cinch to make and it worked like a charm.  You just need to play with amounts in order to cover your carpet generously and by how much scent you want added to the carpet.  I simply filled a mason jar half full of baking soda, ground up the lavender in my mortal and pestle to draw out the fragrance, and added only 3 or 4 drops of the scented oil (you really should probably just use essential oil but I didnt have any and this was a close second) to the jar and mix it all well.

Picture 013

I simply scattered the deodorizer over the carpet, ground it in a bit with my clean, dry feet, and then let it sit for a few hours.  After I vacuumed it really made the room smell nice and fresh and I havent noticed a musty smell since. 

Hope you have a chance to try this out!  Blessings, ladies!

2 comments:

keepinitruralinthemidwest said...

Hello TOFHousewife,

I'm not sure how I found your site, but I put it in my favorites until I could get back to check it out. I really like it here. I like old fashioned, so I love your photos.

Thanks for the carpet freshener tip, I imagine it smells so fresh.

I have a blog but I've been going through a lot since the end of 2011 and it seems I haven't posted as much these days. Plus I have a mental block lately.

Blessings to you & yours. I'm gonna go check your blog out some more.

Sassy

The Accidental Housewife said...

Oh, I LIKE this! And it's so cheap!

We just got a new puppy, I'm sure I'll be using this plenty in the near future ;)