Wednesday, April 25, 2012

1940s Woman’s Home Companions

Picture 013
Hello ladies!  Im so glad to be able to take part in Rednesday over at Its a Very Cherry World and Vintage Thingies Thursdays at Colorado Lady. I love seeing all the entries in these two fun “eye candy” carnivals as I like to think of them.

This past weekend my family went out of town for an over-nighter to hear my father in law preach at his new church.  As we were driving down the road to the hotel, we passed an adorable antique store and of course my heart went pitter-patter.  It turned out we were about a half an hour too early to check in, and my husband very generously offered to back-track so I could check out the antique store for a bit.  What a guy!
I wasnt in the store very long when I came upon something that made my heart skip about four beats.  An ENTIRE TABLE of 1940s editions of Woman’s Home Companions and Ladies’ Home Journals (wish I had had my camera so I could show you how many of them there were!).  I didnt even know what to do with myself because I knew I had a small amount I was allowed to spend, but I so desperately wanted to take the whole table home!  I had never seen such a collection of well-kept magazines from as early as the 1940s.  I asked the owner about where they came from and dont you know she said they had JUST come in the day before… her husband bought them all off one person, she didnt know the details but I would have loved to know the lady that prized this decade’s worth of homemaking magazines enough to keep them in such great shape.
So… it came down to the choosing and while each and every edition was GORGEOUS I settled on four spring/summer editions, as I have more holiday-themed vintage magazines and lots of images from that time of year, but less so for the warmer seasons.  Here are the ones I settled on:
Picture 013 August 1948  Woman’s Home Companion
Picture 014 June 1947 Woman’s Home Companion
Picture 015 August 1948 Ladies Home Journal
Picture 016 Ladies’ Home Journal April, 1949
Keep in mind, ladies, that these are pretty rough-cuts of the magazine images.  I didn’t have time this week to do my normal photo editing that I use to make my images really shine, but I wanted to share a brief glimpse into these gorgeous periodicals with you.  Hope you enjoy!
 Picture 018 I never tire of these old refrigerator ads with the housewife in her cute apron
Picture 019 Picture 017
Picture 021
It makes my hands hurt thinking about the fact that these homemakers used to use the same soap for their laundry and their dishes!  Yikes!  No wonder Palmolive was a hit when it came along!
Picture 020 
Does it get any better than an artistic shortening can with legs?
 Picture 023 LOVE this!  An entire red ad!  And look at some of the graphic inserts:
Picture 024 Picture 025
Picture 026 What I want do know is:  did these ladies REALLY vacuum in their high heels?  I am all for glamorous housekeeping but… did they really do that?
 Picture 022   Picture 028
Picture 027
Well, ladies, I hope you had fun taking a very quick peak at these gorgeous 1940’s editions of Ladies’ Home Journal and Woman’s Home Companion.  You will of course be seeing much more of these magazines as the weeks and months to come, as I am able to collect and edit them properly and use them in my various blog posts.
farm2
And before you go, dont forget to scoot over and sign up for my Gimmick-Free Give Away of The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen!  It’s a great book and all you have to do is leave a comment to enter. 
Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh my, you are one lucky girl. I LOVE the old magazines! And these have such beautiful covers! Thanks for sharing, have a good day.
~~From me and Ms. Wilma

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Oh, fabulous! I would have had a hard time picking just a few too! Love the cover with mom and daughter painting their Easter eggs!
And, of course, they vacuumed in high heels (and a simple strand of pearls), just look at June Cleaver!!

My Vintage Mending said...

oh my where have I been? How did I not get here faster...This is just lovely. So nice to come over and see your beautiful posts...smiles...Renee

Angela said...

I am in awe of those magazines. All I keep thinking of is..'oh, how I could use them in my inspirational journals'. You definitely scored girl.Yard sales are back (and EARLY this year..yahoooooooo). I've been able to pick up quite a few magazines already..Just think Nicole..it's only April..oh my goodness, I have till November to be on the hunt for more magazines..LOL

Anonymous said...

I love your old photos of magazine covers. I well remember when those types of photos graced magazines, except our household didn't subscribe to magazines (other than farm papers) so How do I know? Now you've got me reminiscing! There was a farm/family magazine called "Family Herald" I believe and they used to have stories in them. Especially at Christmas time when one issue had lots of stories. Such fun. Mary Horst

Abbi said...

What fun magazines! My parents had some Reader's Digests from that era (as well as before) and I remember finding the ads nearly as interesting as the articles.

Free Pretty Things For You said...

aw! thank you SO much!!!
Super excited to be following back!! :)
Many Blessing to you too!!!!
xoxoxox!
Keren

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

So glad I found your blog tonight! Love the magazines! I'm happy that you were able to add them to your collection.
Erica :)

DearHelenHartman said...

My heart is pounding at the thought of your find! 'Companions' have some of THE most gorgeous images ever. I have stacks of them and they are gems. I LOVE your blog - got here through Vintage Thingie Thursday but will be visiting often. Am off to read some of your posts on using magazine images, since that's what I do - and often cluelessly!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Antiques And Teacups said...

What a wonderful collection of vintage magazines! I, too, love the ads! Such a window on another era. Thanks so much for sharing your treasures!
Ruth

Melody said...

Isn't wonderful when that happens!!!
I too love the vintage magazines. I have them from the 30's-74..any later and the ads....paper..everything seems to have changed....not quite the same. The prices here are going up on them cause they get more $$$ by cutting em up and selling the ads and chucking the rest.....such a shame. It's like finding tiny timecapsules.

Coloradolady said...

What a find in those magazines! I love to look through old ones like this! The graphics are amazing. Lucky girl. Happy VTT

Nani said...

What a great find! I'd have gone nuts too, all those old ads! I love vintage advertising! Thanks for sharing!!

glhearts said...

Love your posts about menu planning & simple homemaking! Never heard of Farm Chicks but I'm excited to check it out! Thanks for the opp!