Monday, November 14, 2011

Truly Homemade Pumpkin Pie

AmericanGirl1936-11

Hello ladies!  I hope everyone reading this blog post is enjoying a beautiful fall.  I know for my American friends it’s almost Thanksgiving Time.  I hope the plans for your big holiday are coming together nicely.

old fashioned pie

One Thanksgiving staple is Pumpkin Pie.  As I have tried to make more foods from scratch, pies are one thing I have not been very brave about trying.  The crust intimidates me, and I tend not to try things that takes lots of time and energy in fear that i will have wasted my efforts.  pumpkin-1995_640

But I decided this week I really wanted to try to learn to make pie, and I wanted to make the whole thing from scratch.  I bought a few small pie pumpkin at the local farmers market, and read this great tutorial on how to roast pumpkins.

Picture 004    Picture 007

I used a great pie crust from this beautiful cook book Earth to Table that focuses on local, seasonal eating, and I used the pie recipe from the classic The Joy of Cooking

      Picture 012   

Picture 010    Picture 014

The most satisfying part for me, for some reason, was rolling out and preparing the pie crust.  I took the advice I read somewhere once and covered the edges of the pie with aluminum foil for the first 40 minutes of baking, which protected it from burning.

Picture 025    Picture 019

I was nervous about how it would turn out, but it turned out pretty great, especially for a first try!  It needed a bit moe sugar (I always pull back the sugar in recipes but i think in this instance I needed to add the full amount) and a little more cinnamon, but other than that it was great. 

Picture 021

Do you ever make pies from scratch?  Do you have a favourite pie you make truly homemade?

Blessings, ladies!

3 comments:

Laura said...

They look wonderful! Congratulations on your first homemade pie!

After years of trying and failing, I've given up on pie crust. I should probably try again. Maybe I will this winter sometime when I have time to devote to it. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Heather said...

Looks delicious. We just had homemade pumpkin pie on the weekend as well. I cooked the pumpkin and my husband did the rest. ;-)

Jann Olson said...

Can you believe it, I don't really like pumpkin pie. Is this non American or what? I always make 1 (from a can) for my SIL that loves it. Not about to go to that much work for something I don't care for. LOL! I do make pecan and coconut cream from scratch. Wouldn't you know that these are my two favorites. Luckily, it's my hubs and all of my childrens favorite too. Your pie does look yummy I must admit.