Saturday, November 19, 2011

How to Spend Eight Dollars (or less) on Four Christmas Presents

AmericanGirl1931-12

Hi Ladies!  Christmas times ‘a-coming, Christmas times ‘a-coming, Christmas times ‘a-coming, and I know I dont want to go broke….  Ok maybe that is a slight change to the original lyrics, but I am sure its a sentiment we can all agree on.

To that end, here is a great way to spend Eight dollars or less and get 4 lovely Christmas gifts (and if you’re a real genius at math, that comes out to 2 dollars a gift!).  I present to you:

The Old Fashioned Housewife’s Honey Spiced Pears

 Picture 022 Picture 025

Lovely local pears plus some honey, cinnamon and cloves

 

Picture 029   Picture 023 

Picture 033   Picture 032

plus a little time in the Kitchen and you get

Picture 064

Four jars of Honey Spiced Pears

Picture 054   Picture 051

  add a decorative bow and a personalized name tag

Picture 056

or add the jar to a larger gift basket of home-made goodies

Picture 053 

And Voila!! you have 4 gifts for under 8 dollars.

The cost breakdown:

Pears: $3.50 (2nds from the local farmers market)

Honey and spices: 50 cents (or less)

Jars: $3.00 (or less)

Ribbons, tags, etc: $1.00 (or less)

givefood

Each year I despise more and more how Christmas can be such a stressful time because of the money we feel like we have to spend to give gifts to the people we love (and sometimes, those we don’t but feel obligated to anyway!).  On top of this, I am moving more and more away from a consumer mentality and am trying to do more home-made, hand-made, local, and using the good old 3 Rs: reduce, reuse, and recycle.

christmascookies

As such, the vast bulk of my Christmas gifts this year are going to he be homemade.  As I am not much of a crafter is is going to be mean, by and large, food items.  I understand that some scoff at the idea of the ubiquitous tin of Christmas cookies or Aunt Nellies old hard-as-a-brick fruit cake, but I think that if you make a quality handmade item that is useful and personalized, your gift should be a hit.  Most of our loved ones know that they are likely you get gifts exclusively in this category this year. I hope to be able to share some of these with you here on the blog.

The Recipe

For those of you who do can and are curious, remember to always use safe canning procedures and the amounts of pears and the packing syrup are as follows:

Fruit: About 12-14 cups of quartered, cored, peeled pears

Syrup: About 8 cups of water, 3/4 cup honey, 1 tblspoon ground cinnamon and 10 cloves

Hope this post inspired you that you can both save money AND give personalized gifts this Christmas.  Do any of you make homemade or handmade gifts for the holidays?  Id love to hear your stories! 

Blessings and Happy Gift-making!

I am happy to be linking up with The Seasonal Family’s Homemade Holiday Gift Carnival, check it out!

ps- Don’t forget to hook up with me on Facebook and if your blog has a facebook page, be sure to let me know in the comments!

6 comments:

The Seasonal Family said...

I feel like I just peeked in the closet :)

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Haha Kristin that made me smile. :)

Rachelle said...

I have canned honey spiced pears and they never looked this pretty before -- all tied up in bows.
BTW thanks for following my blog. I too am intrigued by the homemade gift movement and we are focusing on that in my lifestyle magazine for December.

Angela said...

Love this post girl...This year we have CUT back HUGE...and even cut back on gift giving....Like you, I will be making many of the gifts (with food)...I do have quite a bit of crafts that I want to make, just not sure if I am able to get them done..no stress though. If I do, great, if not..just wasn't meant to be!!!! Blessings.

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thanks for your lovely and encouraging words, ladies!

Laura said...

Mmmm, those look yummy! Wish I lived close, you could give me a jar for Christmas! :P

I really wanted to do more homemade gifts this year but of course, I'm getting sucked in-spending way too much. :(

I think that I will still try to whip up some homemade treats to give though.
It's not too late? Right? :)

Great post!
((hugs))
Laura