Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mexican Pizza

 

Picture 020

Hello, Ladies!  Just popping in for a quick post about a meal I invented as a way to use up some leftovers and other refrigerator “orphans”.  Don’t know if you’re like me, but whenever I get to the nasty business of cleaning out my refrigerator, i always find things that need to get used up.  Yesterday was such a day and I had some leftovers from taco dinner from the weekend, as well as a pre-made multi-grain pizza crust I bought at the store because it was marked way down. I remembered when I was a kid there was a pizza place that made “Mexican Pizza”, and I decided to try to recreate it from memory.

  Picture 005

 

 

 

 

 

 

First I had to make some refried beans, as they were the base for the Mexican pizza (instead of the typical pizza sauce).  I had a can of black beans in the cupboard so I made good use of those, but if you have a can of already- prepared refried beans you could just as easily use those. 

Picture 008

I greased my pizza stone, put the crust on, and put a nice layer of the refried beans down.  I then topped this with:

Picture 012

left-over taco beef

Picture 014

lots of shredded cheddar cheese

I baked this at 400* until the cheese was nice and bubbly and melted, about 35 minutes.  You want to remove the pizza onto a cutting board where it can cool for five minutes.

I forgot to take a photo of this, but you want to slice the pizza before you put any further toppings on it.  Once you’ve done this, add

Picture 017

chopped lettuce

Picture 019

diced tomatoes and raw onion

Picture 021

Serve this pretty and tasty concoction to your family with sides of salsa, sour cream and, if you’ve got it, guacamole.  One word of caution: watch the salt in your beans and meat.  I added salt to the beans but I really didn’t need it as there was already salt in the meat and it was a bit too salty for my taste (which means my husband loved it.).  :)  I think this will be a regular staple on my meal planning rotation, its a great way to use up taco dinner leftovers.

family dinner

Hope you’re having a great week, ladies!  If any of you have any creative pizza ideas, please share!

2 comments:

Mrs Evans said...

YUM! I love mexican food, so I am going to try this!

Jann Olson said...

Hi,
This looks yummy! I have never tried making mexican pizza, but have bought it at Taco Bell before and really like it. When ever I fix anything with ground beef I always have leftover meat. Usually I make taco soup. I'll have to give this a whirl sometime. So enjoyed hearing from you again. I think it would be awfully to keep up with blogging with a growing family. As much as I love it, there are certainly things that are more important. Always love hearing from you. Pop in whenever you can . Enjoy that candy dish. I'm anxious to decorate for Christmas also. Always wait until the day after Thanksgiving. Blessings to you and your family!