Monday, November 21, 2011

One Apple: Three purposes

GoodHousekeeping1929-10
Hello ladies!  Autumn is such a great time for foods you can do a million things with, like pumpkins, pears, and of course APPLES!  Seeing as Im all about “Using the Whole Buffalo”, I thought I’d do a post about how I try to make the most out of your apples.  First of all, you wan to…
Picture 108
Take a lovely bin of local (from a farm down the street!) apples, just waiting to be turned into something fabulous…
Picture 122
peeled, cored, sliced apples placed in the crock pot with some cinnamon and a splash of apple cider and you get…
Picture 124  Picture 125
Some delicious, healthy, easily made chunky applesauce to enjoy right away…
Picture 129
or can and shelf for a later day or for a Christmas gift!
butwait
But wait!  That’s not all you can do with this lovely bin of apples!  No, ma’am!  Waste not, want not is what we say around here and you’ve got two lovely bi-products from your peeled, cored apples, namely your apple cores and…
  Picture 113  
your apple peels!  Don’t let them go to waste, but instead….
Picture 116
get out your trusty dehydrator and put those lovely apple peels to dryin’ while the applesauce is a’makin’…
Picture 121
and you end up with some deliciously sweet and crunchy apple peels…
Picture 119  Picture 120     
They make a delicious snack for adults and older kids (they are a bit crunchy for toddlers and babies).
And what can you use cores for you might ask?  Well, on the days that you arent making applesauce or mulling some apple cider and you still want the house to have that delicious fall aroma…
Picture 109  Picture 111
simply put your apple cores in a pretty retro coffee pot (or in any old pot for pete’s sake!) with a few cinnamon sticks and a little water and simmer away!  Make your garbage into potpourri!
I hope this post has encouraged you to get out there and buy some fresh, local apples and make good use out of them in a way that will bless your whole family. Blessings, ladies!

So happy to be linking up with The Carnival of Home Preserving over at Laura Williams' Musings!

8 comments:

The Seasonal Family said...

I love the idea of using the cores to make the house smell nice, ingenious! You can also use them to make apple cider vinegar.

Jann Olson said...

Wow girl, you amaze me! You are so nifty thrifty! Love the core idea. I made applesauce a few years ago and hubby doesn't eat it. Decided it wasn't worth it for me. He really doesn't care for apples. I buy them, eat a few and then usually make apple crisp. Guess who eats most of it? Yup, that would be me!

Mecky said...

Great idea about tyhe apple peels. I have never thought of that.
My mil's neighbor use to save her peels and made apple jelly out of it. I wish I had her recipe, but she has been gone for some time now.

Happy Thanksgiving

sherim said...

Great idea Nicole! Where did you get the apples and what kind are they? I am loving your blog...

Francesca said...

I just love Good Housekeeping magazine, I buy it here in Rome every month, both the UK and US one. I am following you immediately.

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

I love your blog. I had no idea the cores of the apples would still produce that yummy scent. I will be back often. Patty

camp and cottage living said...

Hi
I made applesauce and never even thought of drying the peels. You are too smart!
This is my first visit-I really enjoyed dropping by!

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Yum, Yum, Yum.

Thank you for liking this up to the Carnival of Home Preserving. Link up as many as you want sweetie, I don't mind. :)

Thanks for following me and sharing the carnival! Always nice to find others with the same interest as me. :)