Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Introducing the Old-Fashioned Housewife

        name4   

Hello ladies!  I hope any of you taking a moment to read my blog post are doing well and enjoying the last bits of summer before fall sets in on us. I have been SUPER busy these past couple of weeks trying to get the rest of the summer harvest preserved before the growing season is over.  When Im not canning, freezing, or drying something, I’ve been chasing a toddler and trying to clean out some very neglected spaces in our home.  In addition, Im just in one of those periods where I am pouring over God’s Word and if my few free moments am more inclined to get ahead on my bible study homework than do a blog post.  While I miss blogging, it’s been a pretty good couple of weeks. :)

name5

So, you might have noticed that there’s been a bit of a name change!  This is something I have been contemplating for sometime now, but I have been The Armchair Housewife for so long now that it’s been a bittersweet decision.  As I explained years ago, the title of the blog was a reference to the fact that I was so often guilty of being an “armchair” homemaker, much like an “armchair” detective or quarterback, one who sits on the sidelines and lives vicariously through others and has strong opinions about something that they dont actually participate in themselves.  It was a confession of sorts and a beginning on a new journey to take my responsibilities as a homemaker more seriously.  I’ll always have a tender spot in my heart for that phrase as I think it was inspired. :)

name2

However, more and more I feel that it is no longer fitting.  I have FAR from “arrived” when it comes to being the wife, mother, and homemaker that I want to be.  However, I am no longer sitting on the sidelines.  I may still be struggling daily to learn how to do this very important job well, and I have a lot of learning to do, but theres no doubt that, by God’s grace, I am fighting the good fight in the trenches.  Proof of this is the fact that I havent blogged for a couple of weeks- there was just too much to do to read or write blog posts, and I’m proud to say I’ve at least come far enough to have made the right decision and no stay parked in the armchair!  Praise the Lord!

name3

With this in mind, may I reintroduce myself as The Old-Fashioned Housewife!  I plan to write more as time goes on about why I prefer this name, but I am sure than any of you who have read this blog with any frequency can guess that I believe it reflects my desire to be that traditional wife and mother that viewed her role as homemaker as a full-time occupation and calling worthy of her best efforts.  My dear hubs purchased the domain name for me, so my web address is now OldFashionedHousewife.com!  For the near future I will continue to host at Blogger so as you can see the blog address is still the Armchair address, but if you enter the .com domain name into your web address bar, you will indeed be directed here to my home sweet home.  And I would go one step further and ask you kind, sweet ladies who have me listed in a blogroll on your page, if it isnt too much trouble, to rename me and enter the .com address if you are able.  No biggie if you can’t, people will still be directed here.

name1

I hope the name change will reflect my desire to be a good old-fashioned housewife, focusing on being a wife, mother, and homemaker to the glory of God.  I am so thankful to have so many of you along for the journey and I hope to be blogging more soon (and checking in on all my bloggy friends!) 

Blessings, ladies!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think that it's a perfect NEW name for your blog. You have come a long way and I believe it's time for your blog name to reflect it. :)

We've been busy here too! I'm looking forward to blogging more soon as well. I have so much to share yet, lack the time lately to get it all down. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Our Family said...

Definitely a more fitting title. You certainly aren't an armchair housewife. I don't know how you do it all!!

The French Hutch said...

I think your new blog name is perfect, congratulations on the change. I think you/we have the hardest/best job. Blessings.......

~Emily
The French Hutch

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by Redo 101 and your sweet comments about my fall decor. I love your blog! And I love that you took a blog break to just rest in the Lord - that's exactly what I need to do. I've hit a place where, after six months of intense blogging, I just don't have the desire any more. It will be just right to come apart with the Lord.

I also have been thinking about changing my blog name from Redo 101 to Ms. Redo, just to make it a bit more personal and a lot less academic :) What do you think?

I'll stop by again soon.

Hugs,
Mary