Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Bit of Fall Decorating

happy fall  

Hello ladies!  I wanted to take a minute to say Happy Fall to you all and also to share with you the wee little bit of fall decorating i have done thus far in my home.  Some of you may have heard me say either here on the blog or on facebook that I actually developed a very strong aversion to all fall decorations (sad, right??!) during my pregnancy two falls ago.  i was deep in the throes of my first trimester of pregnancy (or should I say deep in the “throw-ups?” Too much information?  :) ) and I was so sick that anything I was surrounded with at the time triggered a nauseous response in me for a long time thereafter.  So, that meant fall decorations, antiques (no joke, sad, right??), and tv shows that I watched while prone on the couch like The Golden Girls and Murder She Wrote.

falldecor  the little fall vignette I created for my dining room buffet

By God’s grace, most of those things subsided after about a year.  BUT the fall decorations thing was really holding on.   Even at the end of this August when I was looking through my decorations in the garage and I saw the fall stuff, my stomach got queasy.  But I put my foot down with myself and I said I am going to retrain my mind and get back fall decorations.  They used to be my favourite, after all!!

 Picture 006    Picture 014

I dont have too many open, flat surfaces in our home that I can use purely for decoration, but my buffet (which is situated right in between my living room and dining room) is one such location.  I put some fabric fall leaves I bought at a yard sale years ago in a simple white flower vase- nothing difficult or fancy.  I filled a white ceramic cornucopia with some gourds from the local farmers market, and paired these very autumnal items with a pear in a cloche jar and a pretty vintage book on an easelRebecca from Stony Brook Farm it’s called,and I love the sweet little farm scenes on the cloth cover- makes me think of harvest time and perfect for fall decorating.

Picture 008   Picture 010  

On the other half of the buffet, I put some cute mini pumpkins and a few white gourds in my glass cake stand, where they are holding down the fort until I can make some yummy pumpkin or apple cinnamon muffins to go in there. :)  Finally, to bring a little light and warmth, I filled two mason jars with coffee beans and a small votive candle.  They look nice atop a vintage copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, dont you think?

Picture 020    Picture 022    

The other splash of fall is on my dining room table, where I have a simple and functional display of fruit, along with a pretty cloth pumpkin.  You may recognize these two white dishes from the post I did about my vacation vintage finds.  They have become mainstays on my dining room table since I purchased them, a great showcase for seasonal fruits, making the table pretty and putting delicious, nutritious food in easy reach. 

Picture 024     Picture 025

What says early fall better than beautiful Bartlett pears and extra sweet German plums?  Yum!

So, in between batches of canning, chasing after a busy toddler, and trying to keep the house in some kind of order,this is the little bit of fall decorating I’ve managed to do so far.  I hope you enjoyed, and I am also hoping this post will be the start of my return to blogging more regularly.  Summer is gone, fall is here, and canning season in nearly over.  Love seeing all your fall stuff on your blogs, too, ladies, Im catching up!

Please stay tuned as I plan to do a post this week on the 1914 Fall Fair I attended last weekend, I think you’ll find it almost as fun to read about as I did to attend.  Blessings, ladies, and Happy Fall!!

9 comments:

Life After Piggie Smalls said...

Very cute <3

Laura said...

Everything looks lovely! I see a few ideas that I'm going to steal from you... ;p

((Hugs))
Laura

Jann Olson said...

Hi,
So glad to see you back. I love your Fall decor! Throwing in the books is a great idea. I love the coffee beans in the majon jars. Everything looks so very festive!
I have a few white bowls and compotes like yours. Love them with the fruit. Yes, the harvest is a great part of Fall.

Mom Walds Place said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my place. You're right, your whites look great with your autumn goodies. I especially like the fresh fruit in the milk glass.

"If you display it, they will eat it."

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Hi Mary,

thanks for the sweet and thoughful comment. I think Mrs Redo sounds fantastic, and I agree tht it sounds more personable. Maybe if you need a little break from blogging yo should let yourself do that, and then come back as Mrs. Redo when you're feeling refreshed. :) And if you're worrying about losing readers, you could do what I should have done and just repost some of your older, favorite posts a couple of times a week. Hope you have a nice rest from blogging if yuo need one. We should blog about life, not live to blog, right?! :)

blessings!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

oh i LOVE it !!!! it looks great !!!

wishing you a happy Fall too

i am happy to stop by today and was happy to see you at farmhouse kitchen, my friend

kary

Lillie Mae Acres said...

Well, I think it all looks great. I keep fall decor confined to my kitchen and front porch, branched out a little on the back porch this yr but am not happy with it. I've always been a heavy decorator, some would say I over-do it. A neighbor was comparing her mailbox area to mine one day and said "I think less is more" well I knew what she meant LOL, good thing her and I are friends.
Muffins sound yummy, I need to make some this week too. Have a blessed week!

~~Carol~~ said...

Your Fall decorations are just beautiful, especially those plums in that milk glass bowl! I never would have thought to use those, but now I see that they're so perfect!

Tara said...

LOVE it!!!!