Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hallway Before and After (with Vintage!!)

 shp1_thumb[5]

Hello ladies!  I did this monster post yesterday and I think it was just plain too long for people to read!  So here it is cropped down to the essential bits:  a thank you and a show and tell for my recent hallway transformation. :)

First of all, want to say a big fat THANK YOU to all of you who participated in my very first Fencepost Friday!  I was super duper encouraged to hear al that you had to say about being a blessings financially to your families.  Keeping with the theme of being financially responsible and a blessing to our families, I wanted to share some decorating I did this week using almost all things I found in my garage or around the house that hadnt been used yet.  Yay!

This week, among other things, I tackled this wall:

Picture003_thumb1

It’s a very easily-ignored wall as its sort of wedged in between my stairway and the bathroom, but I felt like it had some potential.  I went into my garage on Friday last and dug up all the pictures, shelves, and other decorative items Ive had for a while but never put to use in our new home for reasons stated above.  I found I had quite a lot of good stuff, stuff I had pretty well forgotten about!  And after weighing it over, I came up with this:

Picture016_thumb2 apologies about the photo quality: this is a rather dark corner of the house without much natural lighting and that is bad for my camera!!

Now, mind you:  I am NOT Martha St ewart.  I am also no Aunt Ruthie from Sugar Pie Farmhouse.  If you want gorgeous eye candy for home decorating, she’s your lady!  But I was pretty happy with how this turned out, and helps give my home, I think, that warm vintage feel that I so love.

  Picture018_thumb8     Picture026_thumb4

The shelf was a little cutie I bought at the thrift store months ago but hadn’t hung up yet, and the two aprons are vintage that I got a song each at different stores at different times.  I’ve had the red repo lantern forever it seems, but it was just hiding on a bookshelf elsewhere in the house, and that adorable little transistor radio from the 50s, as well as that coffee canister, weren’t being put to use at all!  What a sad waste!  Aren’t they cute?

What I really love about the wall are these fabulous Pespi ads from the late 50s.  All they are, ladies, are magazine ads that have been removed from some old vintage periodical and sold individually at an antique store for about a dollar or two each. Look for these when you are out antique hunting because they can be fabulous decorative items if framed.  In this case, the frames were the only thing i lacked.  I did my due diligence and went to not one, but TWO thrift stores looking for frames before I went and bought them retail, but didnt have any luck (although I did find two other smaller frames that I have since put to use that I’ll share with you some other time.  So I did buy the two black frames new at Superstore, but the rest I “shopped” for right here in my own house.  What do you think?

Well, ladies, this blogging has been fun but I better go get baby up from her nap and get dinner started.  I pray you’re all having a sensational day and see you again soon!  Blessings!

3 comments:

Jann Olson said...

Super fantastic! I LOVE the vintage Pepsi ads!! The mixture is just right. Cute radio, reminds me of how I listened and sang along to so many songs when I was young. More in the '60's', but oh how I loved my tunes. Isn't it great when you can shop from home?

Mrs Evans said...

I love it! And I too love aprons:) What great prints, I am going to be looking for them when I go to antique store now, that's such a good idea. I can't wait to see what else you do with the things you have!

Laura said...

That looks amazing! I love it!
Sorry that I haven't been around too much. Busy, busy with the kids!
I'll have to go back and check out the Fenceposts post!

((Hugs))
Laura