Friday, August 12, 2011

Fencepost Friday

fnc2 

Hello ladies, and welcome to my very first Fencepost Friday!!  I hope it will be the first of many!  Thank you to those of you who have already left some sweet comments on my introductory post to this series, I am so glad that Im not the only one who is looking forward to this opportunity to share!

 fnc1    fnc4  fnc3

Our first topic of discussion ‘round the old fence post is this: 

 What do you, as a home maker, do to help benefit your family financially?  Assuming that most of us are not earning a salary, are we still taking seriously our impact on the family budget and bank account?  What ways are you a helper to your husband in this area, and do you have any gems of wisdom for me and other wives as we seek to be a benefit to our families in the area of finances?

So, let her rip, ladies!  The only “rule” I have about this is I want you to leave a heart-felt answer. I’d like everyone to try to keep it to about a paragraph in length, so we can read everyone’s!  I will give my own answer first, which should give you an idea of how the post should look as answers filter in.  Don’t be shy, ladies, everyone’s input is welcome and needed!!! 

armchair housewife The Armchair Housewife says:   I have been praying a lot about this lately and taking seriously my role in our finances.  I think my main focus right now is realizing that in so many ways, while my husband is the one who earns the money, I am usually the one who spends it!  Meaning, I do the grocery shopping and much of the discretionary spending on behalf of the family (and sometimes, just on behalf of myself!).  As such, Im taking more and more seriously my ability to save money for our family by cost-cutting and trying to be efficient in the way we spend our funds on things like groceries, clothing, and other of life’s necessities.  I’m even trying to be more mindful about our utilities, using the dryer on the cheaper hours when I can and turning off those lights and the AC when we really don’t need it. 

And more than anything, I think I am really trying to be mindful, and prayerful, of how hard my husband works to provide income for our family, and to not take this for granted.  The best way I can say thank you to him for how hard he works is take seriously, and develop the art of being frugal with, my responsibility as the spender.

gail Gail@Faithfulness Farm says: 

Well, life has a way of changing things up. When my 4 children were all at home, I was there with them -- homeschooling, homesteading and homemaking. I did everything I could to manage the family finances to keep me in that full-time homemaker position -- cooking from scratch, menu planning, gardening and canning, hanging wash instead of using dryer, etc. Now my nest is mostly empty (only 1 child still at home) and after a long seperation, I am divorced, so no longer a wife -- but still I am a homemaker. I work full-time outside my home -- but I still use all the skills I learned long ago to keep my expenses down and be a good steward of all I've been blessed with.  Great question to *kick-off* this feature :)

jann Jann Olson says:

Call me crazy, but I think it has alot to do with how you were raised. I use to have to really watch my spending when we were raising 5 children. Cutting coupons, shopping sales, babysitting children and working outside the home when needed. You know. really working hard, to stay within our budget. Now we are older and doing well financially I still try to be frugal. Still use a coupon now and then. Just in my blood!

seasonal The Seasonal Family says:

I do the same with trying to use the electricity when it is cheaper. We have not used an A.C. this summer, just fans and windows to help keep costs down. We purchase clothes from Goodwill and shop when they have sales too to even further reduce clothing costs, because everyone knows how quickly kids outgrow clothes. We meal plan and try to reduce food costs through buying clubs and bulk purchases. Then we freeze, dehydrate and can when possible. I believe there is nothing more important than staying home and raising my family. Thanks for all the tips ladies :D

mrsevans  Mrs. Evans says:

Through most of our five year marriage we have had "feast" and "famine" times. Sometimes we have more than "just enough", but most of the time, it has been just enough. I have gotten pretty good at making a little go a loooong way. I keep a pantry, and when necessary stock it full to the top at a local discount food store. Then add to it pantry staples that are always fairly cheep (pasta, flour, beans, rice). With a well stocked pantry, we can literally go WEEKS without a big grocery shopping trip because I can just "shop" in my own home. Food is the #2 largest monthly expense. Cooking from scratch, eating less meat, and being creative within a set ingredients list are great ways to limit that expense.

lilie Lillie Mae Acres says:

I have stayed home and homeschooled our son for almost 7 yrs now. I've always been a wise shopper IMO, I research and try my best to save, clip coupons, etc. I cook and serve hot meals here at home, for years we've tried to enjoy one wknd night out as a family. He will grad soon; therefore, I am currently working on my resume to re-enter the workforce. Also I need a new vehicle and am dreading those pmts so am more than willing to bring extra income into our home to help. I love being Home Sweet Home.

So, what about you, ladies?

6 comments:

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Well, life has a way of changing things up. When my 4 children were all at home, I was there with them -- homeschooling, homesteading and homemaking. I did everything I could to manage the family finances to keep me in that full-time homemaker position -- cooking from scratch, menu planning, gardening and canning, hanging wash instead of using dryer, etc. Now my nest is mostly empty (only 1 child still at home) and after a long seperation, I am divorced, so no longer a wife -- but still I am a homemaker. I work full-time outside my home -- but I still use all the skills I learned long ago to keep my expenses down and be a good steward of all I've been blessed with.

Great question to *kick-off* this feature :)

Blessings!
Gail

Jann Olson said...

Call me crazy, but I think it has alot to do with how you were raised. I use to have to really watch my spending when we were raising 5 children. Cutting coupons, shopping sales, babysitting children and working outside the home when needed. You know. really working hard, to stay within our budget. Now we are older and doing well financially I still try to be frugal. Still use a coupon now and then. Just in my blood!

Jann Olson said...

Call me crazy, but I think it has alot to do with how you were raised. I use to have to really watch my spending when we were raising 5 children. Cutting coupons, shopping sales, babysitting children and working outside the home when needed. You know. really working hard, to stay within our budget. Now we are older and doing well financially I still try to be frugal. Still use a coupon now and then. Just in my blood!

The Seasonal Family said...

I do the same with trying to use the electricity when it is cheaper. We have not used an A.C. this summer, just fans and windows to help keep costs down. We purchase clothes from Goodwill and shop when they have sales too to even further reduce clothing costs, because everyone knows how quickly kids outgrow clothes. We meal plan and try to reduce food costs through buying clubs and bulk purchases. Then we freeze, dehydrate and can when possible. I believe there is nothing more important than staying home and raising my family. Thanks for all the tips ladies :D

Mrs Evans said...

Through most of our five year marriage we have had "feast" and "famine" times. Sometimes we have more than "just enough", but most of the time, it has been just enough. I have gotten pretty good at making a little go a loooong way. I keep a pantry, and when necessary stock it full to the top at a local discount food store. Then add to it pantry staples that are always fairly cheep (pasta, flour, beans, rice). With a well stocked pantry, we can literally go WEEKS without a big grocery shopping trip because I can just "shop" in my own home. Food is the #2 largest monthly expense. Cooking from scratch, eating less meat, and being creative within a set ingredients list are great ways to limit that expense.

Lillie Mae Acres said...

I have stayed home and homeschooled our son for almost 7 yrs now. I've always been a wise shopper IMO, I research and try my best to save, clip coupons, etc. I cook and serve hot meals here at home, for years we've tried to enjoy one wknd night out as a family. He will grad soon; therefore, I am currently working on my resume to re-enter the workforce. Also I need a new vehicle and am dreading those pmts so am more than willing to bring extra income into our home to help. I love being Home Sweet Home.