Friday, August 26, 2011

Fencepost Friday: What’s Your Biggest Challenge?

fencepost friday

Hello ladies!  Wow has it been one full week around the Armchair household.. so busy I only managed to do one short post since my last Fencepost Friday!  I am hoping to do more blogging this next week, but the truth is until the growing season (which for me is now canning/freezing/drying season) ends, Im probably going to be pretty busy if I want to preserve some of the harvest for the cold winter months.  Sort of makes me actually look forward to winter, though!!

promise

read the fine print in the ad above, ladies… there’s a lot to do!!!  :)

This week I’d like us to gather around the fencepost and talk about challenges.  Sometimes I think we ladies can put on a brave front and pretend that we’ve got everything all together when it comes to balancing our housework, our social and ministry lives, and being the best moms and wives we can be.  But in truth, Im going to go out on a limb and guess Im not the only homemaker who struggles to get everything done in a day or a week, or sometimes feels like as much as I love my job, sometimes i feel like I need two of me to be everything I want and need to be! :)

So, this week I want to hear from you all about your biggest challenges as homemakers. What do you struggle with the most?  Is it not feeling like you have enough time?  Energy?  Direction?  Help?  Health? Money?  Skill?  Organization?  Ability?  Closet space?  (OK that last one was tongue in cheek…sort of.)  I’m sure we probably feel like we could use more of all of these things, and I dont want this to turn into a gripe-fest, but I’d like to know what are the one or two things you find the biggest challenges to your being the best homemaker you can be?  And what do you think the solutions are?

I’d love to hear from as many of you homemaking ladies out there as want to share their stories!  And remember, don’t feel you cant participate if you work outside the home… if you’re a lady and consider yourself a homemaker, I want to hear from you!  As per usual, I’ll go first. :)

armchair housewife The Armchair Housewife Says:  For me, the whole point of The Armchair Housewife is to chronicle my journey to be a better housewife, so I've been pretty open about my challenges along the way. I'd have to say probably the biggest challenge is the fact that I dont come by any of the skills or abilities needed in this job (except for loving my family!) and each ability has been totally self-taught. Sometimes it feels like the learning curve is oftly steep, and I probably expect too much out of myself too soon, and that can lead to frustrations and discouragement.

In addition, I am not a naturally organized person, and I have to really focus in order to be organized. And if its one thing i am learning you need to be a good old-fashioned homemaker, along with the Grace of God, is ORGANIZATION! So this is another thing I am praying about and trying to learn.
Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

 

seasonal The Seasonal Family says: I know that my challenge is to not spread myself too thin. The idea of being super mom and being able to do everything is very appealing but makes me fall short of my goal constantly. I desperately wish that I was naturally talented in every aspect of homemaking which leads me to resent how those skills are not valued any more and are not taught to us. There is so much beauty in being at home and caring for the family, since our families emotional, physical and spiritual well being are crucial for happiness and success.

We do struggle financially as well and there are moments when I believe if we just had more money we would be "better off" but honestly, what does that even mean? We have a house, we have each other, we have food, we are warm in the winter and stay cool in the summer. An effort needs to be made on my part to not fall into worldly temptations and realize my treasures are stored in heaven.

Here is that book I was telling you about! I know that I want to check it out: http://wearethatfamily.com/my-book/

 

momwald  Mom Wald’s Place says:  Wow, is it possible to leave a whole book for a comment. This is quite the question.
Most recently being an at home mom has also become being a physical therapist, every day. I cannot imagine having a chronically ill child, and having to spend your life separated from them at an away from home career.
We have to do our physical therapy at the YMCA, so our days are chopped up. I need to find a way to regain the gentle pace we had here before as a homeschooling family.

8 comments:

The Armchair Housewife said...

For me, the whole point of The Armchair Housewife is to chronicle my journey to be a better housewife, so I've been pretty open about my challenges along the way. I'd have to say probably the biggest challenge is the fact that I dont come by any of the skills or abilities needed in this job (except for loving my family!) and each ability has been totally self-taught. Sometimes it feels like the learning curve is oftly steep, and I probably expect too much out of myself too soon, and that can lead to frustrations and discouragement.

In addition, I am not a naturally organized person, and I have to really focus in order to be organized. And if its one thing i am learning you need to be a good old-fashioned homemaker, along with the Grace of God, is ORGANIZATION! So this is another thing I am praying about and trying to learn.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

The Seasonal Family said...

I know that my challenge is to not spread myself too thin. The idea of being super mom and being able to do everything is very appealing but makes me fall short of my goal constantly. I desperately wish that I was naturally talented in every aspect of homemaking which leads me to resent how those skills are not valued any more and are not taught to us. There is so much beauty in being at home and caring for the family, since our families emotional, physical and spiritual well being are crucial for happiness and success.

We do struggle financially as well and there are moments when I believe if we just had more money we would be "better off" but honestly, what does that even mean? We have a house, we have each other, we have food, we are warm in the winter and stay cool in the summer. An effort needs to be made on my part to not fall into worldly temptations and realize my treasures are stored in heaven.

Here is that book I was telling you about! I know that I want to check it out: http://wearethatfamily.com/my-book/

Mom Walds Place said...

Wow, is it possible to leave a whole book for a comment. This is quite the question.

Most recently being an at home mom has also become being a physical therapist, every day. I cannot imagine having a chronically ill child, and having to spend your life separated from them at an away from home career.

We have to do our physical therapy at the YMCA, so our days are chopped up. I need to find a way to regain the gentle pace we had here before as a homeschooling family.

Anonymous said...

May I re-post the pictures on your sidebar on my blog, or are they your personal pictures (the ones that say Cooking, Cleaning, Creating, Learning, etc? I'll check back for an answer. Mary R.

The Armchair Housewife said...

Hi mary!

First of all, than you very much for asking, I really appreciate that as I have seen my photos used on other blogs without permission and it always bums me out. :(

Now as for the buttons, I would appreciate it if you did not reuse those. I worked quite hard to make those, its a multi step process of finding old images in magazines, photographing them,uploading, editing, and then editing them further in order to make them "buttons". Lots of work and Id rather keep them one of a kind.

Because you were so kind to ask, however, if youd like Id be happy to send you a couple of vintage images from my collection, via email, if youd like, that you can use on your blog or however youd like. They'll just be three random ones, but I promise to make them good ones. :) Just leave an email here in the comment where I can send them nd I will do that. Thanks again for asking (and what is your blog? I noticed you didnt sign in, friend).

Nicole

RetroRocketGal said...

Oh, I have a new blog. Mary R. Yes, the pictures kind of looked personal and professional, so I wanted to ask. I'll send an e-mail if I decide to get any from you. Thanks.

RetroRocketGal said...

Did you know you can disable right and left click on your blog? Google "disable right click on blogger" and "disable left click on blogger" and you will find instructions. You will have to do it for each picture with right click. But worth it.

My biggest challenge? Energy. I'm 58. I can feel myself getting weaker; not able to do as much as 10 years ago.

Life After Piggie Smalls said...

My current struggle is cleaning and cooking with a baby. He's 8 months old and not yet mobile. He can sit up and play for a while (as long as I'm in the same room, or else he'll start calling for me), and he'll tolerate me pushing him around the house in a stroller while I go about cleaning different rooms. But it's still very difficult to do much of anything that requires time. I've put him on my back in my Ergo carrier while I clean the house, but he's 24lbs and I've noticed that I'm in pain for days afterwards.

Any advice or tips for this first time mama?