Thursday, July 7, 2011

Using the Whole Buffalo

Open Road for Boys 1933-02 (1)

for photo credit, click on photo

I have a confession to make to my environmentalist friends: I can’t get my fire lit to be “green” just for the sake of being “green”.  I would not categorize myself as an environmentalist and “saving the earth” is not a concept that appeals to me in itself because, if you’ve read any of your bible, its a fool’s errand in the long run. 

However, despite this admission I think many of my habits and the way we live our life might be considered, increasingly, as “green” but those who care to use the label.  We try to eat local and organic foods, try to compost all of our food and paper waste, recycle, reuse, and repurpose all we can, try to cut down on packaging, etc.  But instead of these actions coming from a motive to be “green”, or  to “save the earth”, as it were, they really come from a desire to be a good steward of the gifts the Lord has given us, including the environment we live in, to be compassionate towards other humans who live and work in or world and the animals that live and die so that we can eat, and more and more to simply not be wasteful.

I’ve said it here before, but the older I get the more and more I just dont want to be wasteful.  I am FAR from being perfect on this, and I throw stuff away that would make a lot of people who are super down with the three Rs wince, but this conviction is growing in me, and Im finding new ways all the time to be mindful of not wasting what I have, for the betterment of our family, of others, and as a bi-product, to our environment, which is the beautiful creation that God has given us to live in here on Earth.

To that end, I hope to start posting more things on ways to, simply put, not waste.  Initially it will probably have to do with food, as Im learning to food preserve and trying to learn to “use all of the buffalo” as the saying goes.  Im thinking about maybe even starting a separate blog, attached to this one but a different page entirely, focusing on this, but for now I’ll just post here and label these posts “the whole buffalo”, along with any other relevant categories, so they can be easily found if you are looking for inspiration to reuse, repurpose, and recycle to the glory of God, the ease on your wallet, and the betterment of our planet. 

Do you consider yourself “green”?  How do you approach environmentalism and the issues of consumerism, waste, recycling, etc?  id love to hear your thoughts.

Blessings!

No comments: