Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Raspberry-Blueberry Jam



Hello ladies! I have so much fun with these Rednesday posts because I love red and I love looking at everyone else’s red highlights of their week!

Picture 051

Today I wanted to share with you the batch of Raspberry-Blueberry Jam (or “Razzbluey” as my hubs calls it!) that I made this week. I bought a flat of raspberries at the farmers market last week but didnt take the time to look at it properly before I took it home, and I realized later that day that more than half the berries were bad. The ones on top looked fine, but underneath many were rotten. I was pretty bummed, but figured I could salvage the good stuff and make a batch of jam.
But then I realized there wasnt even enough (4 cups) for a batch of jam, so I thought, “wouldnt those blueberries in the fridge make a fantastic jam with these raspberries?” And I was right, they did!

Picture 053

I have been trying to make most of my jams sugar-free, because I prefer to preserve my summer harvest in a way that is more nutritionally sound for my family and friends to enjoy (I say friends because guess what people are getting for Christmas this year??!!). With this batch, however, I did not have an appropriate fruit juice to use and I was also out of the sugar-free pectin, so I decided to make this batch “conventional.” I figured it would be a treat for the hubs who prefers sugary jam and a nice gift for people at Christmastime.

Picture 035

It is very important if you decide to do any canning, as I have done here, to read up on proper canning procedures, for sanitation and safety. With that in mind, here is the recipe:

Razzbluey Jam
2 cups crushed raspberries
2 cups crushed blueberries
2 Tblspns. lemon juice
5 cups sugar (yikes! see why I dont usually make regular jam!?)
1 box Certo pectin (this isnt an advertisement, just the kind I used if you’re curious)

Picture 026 Picture 027

1. Crush the raspberries, one layer at a time, with a potato masher until nice and smashed. Make sure you have 2 cups raspberries smashed, not two cups of whole raspberries. It takes probably close to 3 cups of whole raspberries to get 2 smashed, if you know what i mean.

Picture 029

2. If your blueberries are nice and fresh like mine were, you’ll want to put them in your food processor and pulse them justa few times until they are smashed up, but DO NOT turn the processor on full speed even for a few seconds or your berries will be puree and thats not what you want. You want them mashed but not liquidy (see photo above).

Picture 030

3. In a very large either stainless steel or enamel pot (don’t use aluminum), put your mashed berries, along with your lemon juice and the fruit pectin. Stir well to make sure they all come together nicely. Bring this mixture to a boil on high heat. You need to babysit jam and can’t walk away or be distracted, so make sure you do this when you have a few minutes’ full attention available. Stir the jam constantly.

Picture 031

4. Once brought to a boil, add your sugar and stir in completely. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture back up to a boil, and boil hard for one minute.

5. Remove kettle from the stove top and continue to stir and skim for five minutes (this helps prevent floating fruit, apparently).

Picture 032

6. Ladle your jam into hot, sterilized jars. Make sure the rims of the jars are clean, using a damp paper towel or lint-free cloth to wipe them off before adding your sterilized lid. Once the lid is on, screw on your rim.

7. Hot-packed jam like this needs to be boiled in a water bath canner for 10 minutes to prevent any sort of bacteria from growing inside your jars while they sit prettily in your cupboards until cold weather. Do not skip this step, ladies… I know a lot of the old school don’t boil jams and pickles but it’s important; you dont want to take a chance at making your family sick.

8. Once processed, remove from water bath and allow the jars to cool, completely undisturbed, for 48 hours on a flat surface. At this point be sure to label your jars (easy to get them confused if you’re making lots of batches!) and store in a cool, dry, dark place (a basement or root cellar is ideal, but as we dont have that I keep them in a dark cupboard in our dining room).


12 comments:

LV said...

I have never cared much for raspberry jelly, but this certainly looks good. You do a great canning job.

Mrs Evans said...

Yum! I can't wait to try canning, though it will have to wait until we have our own home. I just don't have the room to store a canner and dozens of jars in this modest apartment:( You jam looks delish though, lucky friends!!!

The Armchair Housewife said...

Mrs Evans if you really want to can, dont give up so easily. Believe me I know ALL about living in small spaces, but are you sure you have absolutel no space? What about under your bed? that would be a fabulous place to store trays of canned jam. Or heck, even under you couch. No joking! And you could put your canner in a closet and maybe just fill it with stuff to save space until the time of year you need it. I only buy the jars as I need them because I dont have a lot of space, either. Hope you can find a way if its something you'd really like to do! :)

Angela said...

I've only tried to make freezer jam..and loved it. It was easier for me..LOL...easy peasy is my name.

Rebecca said...

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!! I've never canned but wish I could!

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Looks delicious, and thanks for the very clear tutorial. What lovely gifts!

Thanks for visiting me at Redo 101 and your sweet comment.

Hugs,
Mary

Mom Walds Place said...

I just had homemade apricot jam for breakfast, and now you have me wanting raspberry. Your photos are so tasty!

Mrs. Q said...

Hello Dear,

You have won the Baby Bible Board Books! http://blessedhomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/07/baby-bible-boardbooks-review-and.html

Please contact me at blessedhomemaking@gmail.com with your name and address so they can be shipped to you!

Heather said...

Yu,, I love the colour of it when it is all done. We're going to the blueberry farm to pick today so we'll be enjoying blueberry everything for the next while. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I'll show it to my youngest (our biggest blueberry fan) and see if he wants to make some. I also like to make sugar-free or low sugar jam. I love using Pomona's Pectin - it allows you to use juice, honey, small amounts of sugar or no sweetener and thickens up nicely every time.

SueLovesCherries said...

Sounds delish! I give people like you credit, who take photos while cooking - I'm too messy for that!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yum! Looks so delicious! I love using a combination of fruits like this when I make pies an cobblers so I know I'd love this. I'll keep this recipe as my raspberries are just now beginning to rippen. We've been picking blueberries for weeks now.

Mecky said...

I have made Raspberry/Bluebery jam before and my family really liked it! It was good. I love to can jams and jellies. I haven't made any this year because I still have way too much left from last year!
I found my recipe in Farm Journal's Canning and freezing book. Very good recipes in it!