Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homemade Jello

strjl

Hello ladies! Continuing with the “The Whole Buffalo” theme that I have been pursuing with my posts on Strawberry Puree and Sugar Free Strawberry Jam, I wanted to finish this particular series by telling you how I made some delicious, and dare I even say nutritious, homemade strawberry jam.

Picture 056

As I mentioned in the previous posts, when I made the strawberry puree, I had as a bi product a number of cups of strawberry “juice” (I put juice in quotation marks because the liquid I’m talking about is a combination of the water added to the strawberries as they were being cooked for the puree and some of the juice that came out of the strawberries and into the juice. It is not juice in the strictest sense in that it is not purely the juice of the berry) that were not flavourful enough to use for jelly or jam, but were certainly tasty enough not to let them go to waste.

Jello is not as popular a dessert as it once was, and it is often overlooked for more decadent and sophisticated treats. But you can’t beat it for simplicity and my husband really likes it, so all the more reason to make it! And its SO easy.

Homemade Jello

  • 2 cups fruit juice
  • 1 Tblsp unflavoured gelatine (I believe that is the same as 1 package, but I buy it in bulk)
  • 1 Tblsp honey

1. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of the juice and the tablespoon of gelatine, whisking frequently with a small wire whisk, until it it is just about the boil and the gelantine is completely dissolved and clear. I also like to skim the top a bit if theres lot of foam or bubbles.

Picture 051 Picture 049

2. Remove from heat, and whisk in honey until dissolved.

3. Add remaining cup of cold fruit juice, stir, and pour mixture into small cups or jello mold of your choice.

Picture 052 Picture 053

The jello takes a few hours to set properly, and tastes even better with some whipped cream on top! I hope you have a chance to make this easy, delicious dessert that is a great way to make good use of your fruit-canning bi-products and is a much healthier alternative to the commercial variety.

Picture 055

Blessings, ladies!

This post is part of the Rednesday carnival over at It's a Very Cherry World. Be sure to head over and see the rest of the red goodness!

11 comments:

bunny said...

Look Yummy and easy....thanks and will try to make this for my grand kids.

bunny

Mom Walds Place said...

I'm sure it tastes better if you have nifty vintage glasses to make it in also.

The Armchair Housewife said...

haha yes it does! Those cute glasses were given to us by Caleb's grandmother. What is strange is they came with little plastic lids. Why someone would need a little plastic lid for a juice glass Im not sure, but they very useful for making jello and looking cute! :)

The White Farmhouse said...

I have never tried this. I love jello! Oh, the possibilities.... Anything you can make from scratch is so much better than the store bought. I can just imagine how much better this tastes without the artificial coloring and flavoring. I am so gonna try this out! Thanks for posting about it!

Thank you for visiting! I am now off to poke my head around more of your blog.

Laura said...

Ooooo! Looks really good and seems easy enough.
Love those little glasses too!

((Hugs))
Laura

Vent Machine said...

Love your pictures :) Nice watermark! :)

Cheery Blossom Avenue said...

Mmmmm...yummy! Looks good on a hot day like today is!

Tara said...

So great to hear from you Nicole!!! Thanks for the sweet comment! How is motherhood treating you???

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Very cool. I have never made home made jello.

Vee said...

Your little glasses must've been used for card parties. They're so cute. I've never made the homemade variety, but I've fed a lot of gelatin to plants.

SueLovesCherries said...

I would never have thought of Jello as a homemade item! Awesome!