Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse, Dead at 27

amy for photo source and to read the LA Times article on Winehouse, click on photo above

Hi ladies.  I know this post is pretty well out of the “norm” for this blog as I almost never comment on current events, and I dont think I have ever commented on anything even bordering celebrity news.

And  yet, as I sit down to write my post about cleaning out my pantry, which I will do very shortly, my heart is just aching over the death of the troubled soul singer Amy Winehouse.  In case some of you dont know who she is, Winehouse rocketed to pop stardom a few years ago with her unique musical style that harkened back to the girl groups of the 60s.  She was praised by music critics and fans alike for her fantastic voice and care for musical detail.  And yet all the while this young woman has been in the news repeatedly for her addictions to crack cocaine and alcohol.  She has been in and out of rehab for years, and her music career has been pretty well on hold the past few years as she battled the demons of addiction.  She tried to relaunch a tour earlier this summer but was booed off stage at her first performance, clearly too high and/or drunk to sing her songs.

I dont keep my finger on the pulse of much of modern music, as I dont care for most of it, and yet somehow this woman touched my heart, and I developed a soft spot for her, not so much as an artist (though I do like her music), but as a fellow human being.  I tended to read any story I would see about her, wondering how she was doing, and i would pray for her as the Lord led, praying she would get the help she needed from Jesus to turn her life around and put the clearly God-given talent to serving Him and bringing joy to others. 

But alas, it was not to be.  Miss Winehouse has joined the ranks of so many other talented young people who have gone before her down the road of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and, like many of them, her years did not number more than 27 (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison and Cobain all also died at age 27). My heart breaks for her and her family and friends and the waste of the precious life God gave this woman, so short and so full of misery and pain.  It’s times like this when I shout out with the Psalmist and ask “Why, Lord?”  And it’s also times like this when I humbly confess that, there but for the grace of God, go I.  As Paul said, I am the greatest of sinners, and before I met Jesus I was on that same wide path to destruction.  If you would have told me as a very lost 16 year old girl that I would someday be writing a blog about Christian stay at home mom and wifery, I would have laughed in your face.  But for the intervention of Christ in my life, while I may not have had the fame Winehouse did, I may have had a similarly rocky and short life.  Amy’s death brings me humility; my life is filled with so many good things, all owed to the Lord, none that I deserve or merit.  God’s grace is a mystery indeed.

I pray that Amy’s life and death will serve, if nothing else, as a wake up call to others who struggle with addiction and purposelessness in their life to see that they can find wholeness, healing, and identity in Jesus, and get off the path that leads to destruction and on the narrow road that leads to life.  May the Lord have mercy and give grace to us all.

4 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, this is a sad, sad thing. I read this morning that she was bipolar and refused to take her meds. I think those who are "gifted" with the brilliant madness have unique challenges concerning the balance between creativity and normalcy. It's not an easy road.

Thanks for mentioning Live Writer. I used it for about a year until it blew up on me, too. Still, I'm sure that there are some who, reading your comment, may wish to try it.

Laura said...

I cried when I heard about her. I feel so badly that she just could never pull herself together.
I think that if she could have removed herself from "that world" she would have done much better.
Of course with music producers and companies wanting their pound of flesh from the artist, that wasn't likely to happen.

My heart really went out to this young woman. Such a waste- unfortunately. :(

((Hugs))
Laura

Angela said...

I too have prayed for her and would think of her at times...I didn't know she died....sigh. As soon as I read your title I had to head over here and read....I am joining you and praying for her family and loved ones..and those that loved her too...So sad.

Mrs Evans said...

Sooo sad:( What a terrible world this is lately. I am soooooo glad to have Jesus, and a safe home, and love, and sanity! You are so right too, this is a reminder that I deserve none of it, so I am so thankful to God for giving it to me anyway. Her poor mother:(