Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Armchair Reads

 

Well, well… I really got a great start on my return, huh?  A whole month has gone by since my last post.  I have decided to stop using facebook for a while as I think a lot of the time I would have to create blog posts and stay in any sort of up-to-date fashion with my old bloggy friends gets eaten up by surfing around facebookdome.  I only have so many hours in the day, and with a 10 month old, a husband, and a home to look after, internetting sure sinks to the bottom of the list of priorities.  Also, I recently started another blog (what?  I know, Im crazy), which takes a ligther look at our life as a couple and a family.  If you’re interested you can check it out here:

http://whitetrashchristianhipsters.blogspot.com/

So- I just went to one of my lovely local used book stores yesterday and got some great finds.  They are, along with my read-through-the-bible-in-a-year plan (Im currently half-way through Judges), are my currently reading list:

Picture 121

I’ve never read anything by Ingalls-Wilder, but I am So enjoying this first book in the Little House series.  It is such a fun, sweet look at life in the latter part of the 19th century for rural and pioneer families.  And because its told from the point of view of a little girl, its all the more touching for me now, as I think of all the things i hope and pray our little Birdie girl gets to experience in life. :)

Picture 120

This is fabulous and I am excited to read it all the way through.  It’s a sort of food memoir/cookbook, where she takes you on a culinary and farming journey through her childhood memories, by the season.  I’ve only read the first chapter, and its delightful!

Picture 122

This book is one of the reasons i love to go to used book stores, because you never know what you’re going to find!  I’ve never heard of this book and I doubt you’d find it at Chapters/Borders, as its older and who knows- maybe out of print!  But its going to be a great read, I know, chronicling rural Canadian life in days gone by.  I eat this stuff up!

Picture 123

Finally, I am super excited to read this book.  I actually purchased the other well-known “locavore” book, The 100 Mile Diet, when I was at the bookstore yesterday, but I did a book borrow swamp with a friend of mine, Chef Mamma from The Seasonal Family (a *fantastic* culinary blog, do go check it out) for this book, which I’ve been dying to read.  It details the journey of one family’s attempt to eat locally and seasonally.  This is something that has been of growing interest to me lately, and so these books will give me a good look, I think, at the realities of trying to embrace a more localized gastronomy.  Anyone else out there in to eating locally? 

What books are you all reading these days?

Hope to visit your blogs soon, too, friends!  Thanks if you’ve popped in to read me again, I realized recently how much I miss that bloggy community I once had with all of you.  Lord willing I can get some of that back.  :

Blessings!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole~
I love Laura Ingalls Wilder. In fourth grade my teacher read through the whole series to us everyday after lunch which kept the boys and girls glued to their seats. Actually, that is where I picked Alicia's name and it was great her Dad's name was Al. Carrie (Laura's youngest sister) had a friend and her name was Alicia and I loved the name so much I always said I would name my daughter Alicia one day. Enjoyed your blog and looking forward to hearing more of your excursions. :-)Love you!
Aunt Sheila

The Armchair Housewife said...

Oh aunt sheila that is a GREAT story! I've never heard that one! how sweet and precious, to carry a name in your heart all those years and then get to bless your daughter with it. Thank you for sharing that special story with me!

alittlebitograce said...

What? You've never read the Little House series before? *gasp* I love that series. My dad read it to me when I was little and I started reading it to Aris when she was five. We've finished the first book and then she wanted to read her fairy books. Oh well...

We do our best to eat locally. We just found out about another CSA that we're going to try. Perhaps we can chat about local food when you come for tea? :)