Sunday, March 13, 2011

Apple Pecan Oatmeal with Ruth and Boaz

 

One of our favourite breakfasts lately is a nice, big steaming bowl of oatmeal. “Our” being Birdie girl and me- we share a bowl probably every other day these late winter mornings. I like to add shredded apple, diced pecans, and a pinch of cinnamon to the oatmeal as it cooks (Im using up a bag of 5 minute oatmeal but will soon be switching to steal cut), and then I top it with some delicious pure maple syrup and a dash of 1/2 and 1/2 cream. Delicious, and baby girl digs it, too.

Picture 028

Picture 030

Most of the time we have breakfast at the table with Bird in her highchair, but sometimes when mornings come early and we just want to stay snuggled up and comfy, we share our bowl of grau on the couch, cuddling side by side.

Picture 031 nice camera, mom… where’s the grub?

This morning was one such morning. Today’s reading in my read-thru-the-Bible-in-a-year plan was the book of Ruth. Four of some of the most beautiful chapters in scripture, and to my thinking the most romantic short-story in existence. After the rough ride of Judges, the book preceding Ruth in the Old Testament, the tale of the Moabitess, her Israelite mother in law and Boaz, her kinsman redeemer, is like a spring tonic after a hard winter.

Picture 032

It is not only a beautiful story of redemption in its own right, but in light of the dire spiritual estate of Isreal outlined in the 21 painful, gritty chapters of Judges, it serves as a reminder that even in the darkest of times, some faithful men and women do continue to live quiet lives of devotion to the Lord and HIs people, and that He is a God to all nations and peoples, and will meet us in our circumstances, no matter how bleak and hard they may seem.

Picture 033

I love reading God’s word out loud to Bird during my morning devotional time, eventhough she doesnt yet understand anything Im saying. She enjoys being read to no matter what the story is, and because scripture is God-breathed, I feel as though I am blessing her with a benediction simply by reading the words to her. My prayers is that as she grows and learns to understand words and their meaning, she won’t be able to remember a time when part of her daily learning did not come His word.

Picture 034

If you find yourself in a season of not knowing what to read for your devotionals, can I suggest you read Ruth? And if you are looking for an excellent teaching series to accompany the text, may I suggest the Redeeming Ruth series by Pastor Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill church. I have listened to it probably three times now and I have blessed each time. Great expository teaching of one of my favourite books of the bible.

Hope you all had a beautiful, worshipful, steaming bowl of oatmeal-filled Sunday morning. Blessings!

and don’t forget about my Waltons Season 7 giveaway- click the picture below to enter :)

giveaway

5 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Your little Bird sure is a cutie! Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods! You have tempted me into cooking myself up some for breakfast. Have a lovely day! Twyla

BestBonnieBakes said...

What a nice morning! I read this the other day and meant to comment but you know how that goes...
Does Bird let you read while she reads her book? That is quite admirable! Our little man is quite demanding these days and I usually have to suspend my acitivites because he will throw a fit if he can't participate in full (skyping with Grandma has been quite the challenge lately!). Hope your week is going well!
Aloha, courtney

BestBonnieBakes said...

Oops. I'm logged in as my mom...

Laura said...

Mmmmm the Oatmeal looks delish! So does little bird. I could just eat her up she's so cute. :)

I loved reading Ruth too-back in the day.. when I read it. :)
Thanks for the reminder. Perhaps I will pick it up again.

((Hugs))
Laura

Abi's Blog said...

beautiful post...
blessings,
ava