Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Vintage Decor




Hello ladies! Two post in as many days. You'd think I had lots of time for extras but in fact I've been pretty busy this week. But I've been wanting to share these decor updates I did over the weekend, and I see many of my bloggy friends participate in the Vintage Thingies Thursday carnival hosted by Miss Coloradolady, and it seemed now was the time to jump in and join the fun!



I had changed my decor for the spring, and hadn't really updated since then, but after I found some really great vintage finds a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to freshen up my look before summer was over and autumn came. I really wanted to make use of the vintage cooler, my new enamelware pieces, and the cool record covers I purchased over the past few weeks. Without further adieu, my new "mantle" over my piano:






Oh, this photo is a bit blurry. Downer. But hopefully you can still see that I decided to do a "Retro Summer" theme. It's a bit... well.. loud for me, but I decided what the heck, there's only a month of summer left and as I am a relative newbie (ok, a total newbie) to the whole decorating thing, I figured you might as well try.






I just love that 1950s "College Songs" album on the left. I got it for a dollar, y'all, and I want frame it at some point. It's great.



The centrepiece, really, is the vintage cooler, looking awesome retro and cute next to my glorious fresh sunflowers and my nifty old transistor radio that mom gave me in the spring.



Now this was really sort of taking a risk, but I'm pretty happy with it, for something temporary. I couldn't leave the winterberry wreath over the piano with these vintage themed decor, so I hung the other retro album in it's place. But it was really too small for the space, so I got an idea. I bought these little black plate-style frames from Zellers for 3/1.00 off the clearance rack last weekend and I made the tough decision to cut a few summer scenes from my vintage magazines and frame them. As you can see, I hung them around the album, and I think it looks cute. Would I want it there as permanent decor? Probably not. But as a fun nod to summer vintage-style, why not?









Elsewhere in the livingroom, I added another pretty vintage mason jar with more glorioiuis sunflowers next to my vintage photo album on our bookshelf.



I was also able to put a couple of my enamelware pieces to good use.




Thanks for coming by ladies, and checking out my vintage decor, and thanks for Colorado Lady for hosting this carnival so we can all share our retro treasures.

Have a good rest of the week, ladies!

20 comments:

CC said...

Ohhh, the enamel ware is just too wonderful..I love it. Your nod to summer is great and those sunflowers..my gosh!!! they're gorgeous. Happy VTT and hope your weekend is a wonderful one.

Coloradolady said...

What wonderful decor for summer. I love all of your treasures, that cooler is so cute and the sunflowers just yell summer!!

Welcome to VTT! I am glad you decided to join us. By the way, your pictures show you are very good at decorating a home, I loved everything in each photo.

Have a great VTT!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

i spot nice enamel teapots! just lovely! my fave too! thanks for sharing & happy VTT

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

it looks 50s fabulous..i love the old transistor & the cool box!!

Sarah D. said...

The decor looks great! You are so inspirational!

Postcardy said...

I wish I had all the stuff in the last picture and the sunflowers. If I did,I'd like to try painting a still life of them.

~~Carol~~ said...

I love what you did with those frames! I think the whole display is perfect for summer. Of course I still love that cooler, and you've inspired me to look for a cute little transistor today! My Mom, sister and I are going antiquing.
I'm working on a post for the award you passed to me. It's just a matter of whittling down my list to only 5 things I'm excited about!
Have a great day!
Carol

sunshine said...

Wow! I love it!
It turned out wonderful. The cooler looks great there. Love the plates! Great idea, cutting the vintage pic's out.
I'm going to buy some sunflowers today! They look so beautiful.
Great job Nicole.
((Hugs))
Laura

Sarah said...

Your decorating is refreshing and fun. You have made beautiful use of your collectibles. That photo album is so familiar...I think I have the black one that is similar and from the 50's.

Keetha Broyles said...

The sunflowers are SUCH a perky touch and I LOVE that enamelware, especially the little creamer and sugar.

Susan said...

Nice kick-back to summers gone by.

Candace said...

Fantastic items - the fan is wonderful, too! What a great summer decorating theme!
Cheers!

LADY JANE'S EMPORIUM said...

Total fun! I feel like I've just been on a lovely little vacation...thanks I needed that!

Bea said...

I think you did a great job decorating. Love the transistor radio. Enamel ware is one of my favorites.

Ruby said...

Love the cooler, love the fan and love the transistor radio! Great post. Happy VTT

Cass @ That Old House said...

Love the enamelware! You did a great job with your summer look -- so sweet and retro. And I LOVE the "college songs" album cover -- my, my --- college students look just the SAME now, don't they? Hahaha...
Cass

Ulla said...

The decoration looks just great! I can almost taste the green apples, and I love the enamelware.

Angela said...

I can't believe this girl..you and I have the same lantern AND the same tin basket..LOL

knutsel Rein said...

Love you decoration, wonderful things!

Armchair Housewife said...

Wow, ladies, with my little note added on here, that makes 20 comments. THe most ever I'm pretty sure! Thanks to you all for stopping by and participating, you're all the best! :)