Thursday, August 27, 2009

Further Attempts at Glamour...


I actually got up early again this morning to try to do my hair. Some of you read my post about The Glamorous Housewife's series on retor hair-dos (please go check out her site becuase she's done a few more pictorials and she's done a great job of giving detailed instructions) and I've continued to be inspired.
I did go buy rollers last night but I was out so late I didn't have a chance to experiment with them, and this morning I didn't have the time or energy to fuss with it, BUT I did get up and use my curling iron and experimented. And I came up with this.

I was pretty happy. I basically just parted my hair in the middle, curled the hair in sections, rolling upward and outward, gently brushed and sprayed the curls, and then pinned the hair back on both sides. I don't know how specifically 40s or 50s it was, but it sure looked better than my usual ponytail. I took Glamorous Housewife's advice and bought some Paul Mitchel's style lotion and some medium-hold spray for the styling part, and then I had some serious style mega hold stuff to hose myself down with at the end.

And once again I got inspired to put on some makeup and jewlery, and felt pretty cute, if i do say so myself.


You can see here I got some really cute retro-style earrings at the thrift store this week, I'll be showing more of them soon.


And the curls really did hold. this is a photo of my home after work at almost Six. What did end up taking a lot of the spunk out of the curls was doing the dishes.. I think the hot steam from the water just killed them, but otherwise i think they would have lasted into the night. The two photos below were taken at 6:00.





I'm definitely going to try to keep this up, I just feel empowered now like there's something I can actually do with my teaspoon of fine straight hair.


Thanks again, Glamorous Housewife, and all you ladies who left sweet comments.

8 comments:

Sarah D. said...

You look beautiful! You inspired me to take a few extra minutes on my hair and make up this morning and I got many nice compliments (made me wonder what I walk around looking like other days, lol...) Thanks for sharing as always. :)

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Wow! Your curls really did hold up well. And they look amazing! I can't wait for you to try the rollers because they should work just as well if not better then the curling iron. Just remember to heat them up for at least 10 minutes. Tomorrow I have a post on how to glamorize a simple ponytail, which I think you will enjoy.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Armchair Housewife said...

Sarah,

Thanks so much, that was really sweet of you to say. And I had to "lol" at your comment about work because I know what you mean. I've had so many "wow"s these last couple of days I realise I must have been looking like a real troll lately. Haha. :)

And Glamorous Housewife, I not only will enjoy the help on the ponytail, I desperately need it! Thanks for the compliments and the continued inspiration and instruction.

Della said...

Gorgeous! That's so nice that your hair will hold a curl- mine won't which isn't cool. :)

Angela said...

I LOVE it girl!! oh my goodness, it ever compliment you...

I'm trying to get my 'poof' in the back of my head to look like a 50's beehive..lol. I REALLY am..I love that look...Need to get better rollers though..

Mama Hen said...

I have been thinking about buying some hot rollers also. My hair is really straight and really thick so I usually just do the ponytail or the mom "updo"- put it in a clip.

The Mangerchine's said...

You look great! Good job!

Shannon

sunshine said...

Looks lovely! I'm enjoying watching you try these new styles on yourself!
((Hugs))
Laura