Saturday, August 22, 2009

Freezer and Pantry Challenge


Thanks, ladies, for all your encouraging words and sharing on the last post about your own homemaking goals and journeys. Aren’t we all so blessed to have this online community where we can be encouraged? God is good, and who says the internet has no redeeming qualities?

One of my biggest homemaking goals is cutting costs, and one of the main ways I know I can do this is through meal planning and not wasting food. In that vein, I decided today (Saturday) to do a thorough purging of both of my freezers, the refrigerator, and the pantry, and a subsequent inventory of the remaining edibles. I guessed that if I did this, I would discover I had enough food in my freezer and pantry to provide food for close to a month and would allow me to buy only perishable staples like milk, bread, and veggies.





When I was all done, I realized I might not have had enough for a month, but definitely a few weeks Becase of this, my grocery list for this week is very small, only eight items! Woohoo!





Unfortunately, I ended up throwing out a whole bag of food that either got “burned” in the freezer or was living in pantry purgatory, not getting eaten and just taking up space. :(

I didn’t take any “before” pictures, but here’s what the two freezers and the pantry looked like after the reorganizing:









I’ve made complete inventories of the freezers and I intend to try to stay on top of the list so I know what I have and don’t waste or repurchase items. My freezers are small, but sometimes they seem like little Antarcticas-in-a-box, where bags of veggies, packages of meat, and tubs of stock seem to perish in the ice like daring 19th century explorers. I also rearranged my pantries to make the items I tend to “lose” in better eye-sight.



If you’re looking to reduce your grocery bill and feel more organized, why not take the same challenge? I know it’s time consuming but if you make an inventory and get rid of the rubbish, you’ll be surprised what you find you have and how long you can meal plan around what you already have in the house.

I will be back tomorrow night with a fun with my entry to Today’s Thrifty Treasures. I really got some goodies this week, ladies, so I hope you’ll have a chance ot come and check them out.

Blessings, ladies!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I too keep an inventory list of my pantry, fridge and two freezers! Of course, I keep an inventory list for just about everything! The planner in me will NEVER die! ; )

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I've been meaning to do an inventory of my freezer (for months)! I have mental list but I know there are few things there that I'm missing. Meal planning is essential to staying on a grocery budget in my opinion! Good job in cleaning out and getting organized!

Manuela

Barb said...

Hey girl.
You are number one on the pay it forward.

thanks for letting me know you are in Canada. I'll send it there. email me with your address.

blessings on your day.

barbara jean

Shauna said...

I did this a few weeks ago. I was really surprised with what was out in the freezer! Stuff I bought and completely forgot about.