Monday, July 20, 2009

Shelf Redux


My mother is a very generous woman. I'm trying to learn not to comment on anything in her home when I'm there because if I compliment anything she is likely to give it to me. I'll insist I wasn't complimenting it so she'd give it to me, but then she insists, and I end up taking home treasures. You have seen some already on this blog and you will see more in the future for sure.

One recent treasure was this old shelf that she wasn't using, it was in her basement, and I asked if I could have it and transform it for my kitchen. She kindly said yes. Behold the shelf:



You can see it was pretty beat up, both dirty from being down in mom's basement and the paint job was looking pretty worn. Also, the appliques mom had added, that at one time looked cute, now looked faded and chipped.


I am no kind of crafting artist by any stretch, but I figured if I could just scrape off the old appliques, put on a decent coat of paint, I could have myself a pretty cute shelf for my kitchen on a wall that was totally void of decoration.



I got some basic white and dark red acrylic paint, and gave the entire shelf a couple of coats.



The shelf fit very nicely on my kitchen wall, and I added a few treasures, and voila:



I am pretty pleased with it. Notice I also hung some of the treasures I bought back in the winter on the wall next to the shelf. I think it looks pretty cute.



Two of my favorie treasures on this shelf include this adorable little 1950s transistor radio that my mother insisted (and when I say insisted I mean she literally followed me otu to the car as I was pulling away from her house and chased the car, laughing and tapping on the window until I agreed to take it, God love her) I take after I complimented it.



The others are these adorable, beautiful kissing angels that my grandmother gave me recently. She used to work in ceramics when I was a little girl and these were some beauties she made in 1984. They are marked with her name and the year on the base, and I will treausure them forever.



Another shelf that got "redone" was my poor, ghastly kitchen cupboard. I have managed to keep the inside of the cupboard relatively organized, but the top shelves (and the ones that people see, for goodness sakes) have been strugglin' for some time. See for yourself:


See, I told you. So, today I was determined to clean them up, and after a while I came up with this:


I think we can all agree it's better. I love love love that enamel kettle; I bought at the antique store today for only 7 dollars (usually you can't look at an enamel kettle for under 20).


I totally ripped off Aunt Ruthie over at Sugar Pie Farmhouse and made these cute little candle holders from mason jars, coffee beans, and some red ribbon. And I love it even more because I used two store-bought spaghetti sauce jars out of the recylcing bin and coffee beans I had in the freezer for far too long because I found I didn't like the flavor of the brand.. Extra points for recycling!



Well, I'd say that's plenty of fun for one evening. I'm going to put my feet up and relax while reading my bible and drinking a cup of tea.
God Bless, ladies, and see you again soon!

12 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Where have you been??? Glad you're back and I love the shelves in your kitchen. Everything looks really great and organized and fresh! Love the candle idea. Didn't see those before! Great job! Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

so glad your starting to blog and the shelves look great.
i love you
mom

Angela said...

Oh my goodness gracious girl. I LOVE it!! You and I definitely have similar tastes,,LOL....

Armchair Housewife said...

Aww, thanks, Angela, and Lois and mom, for the encouragement. I think you're right, Angela, we *do* have the same taste. :)

Sarah D. said...

I am so *jealous* of that shelf! You did a great job. I love it!

Armchair Housewife said...

Aww, Sarah you are too kind. Your home is truly lovely, I am jealous every time I visit!

Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

You did a great job reviving that wall shelf.

Cafe Mocha Momma said...

Okay, my dear, when I need re-purposing and re-decorating advice, guess who I'm going to come see? By the way, would your mother be interested in adopting a middle-aged woman with a ready-made family complete with a husband and 7 children? Just asking. . .

sunshine said...

Everything looks great. Love the new shelf!
So glad to see you back blogging! You've been missed. :)
((Hugs))
Laura

sunshine said...

I was just over at Sugar Pie Farmhouse and saw your comment. I'm giving you a virtual HIGH FIVE and a way to go! (the comment about health care..lol)
I loved what you said about people needing to stop watching Fox news. Anyhow.. just wanted to say that I was so happy to see someone with some brains respond to that post. I couldn't articulate well enough. You on the other hand, know how to get your point across.
Great post! ;)
((Hugs))

Armchair Housewife said...

Laura,

!) Greaat to be back in blogland, thank you so much for the welcome back and the hugs. I missed you, too!

2) Thanks for the encouragement about the post. I was steaming! I hope you left, or will leave, a comment on the thread, too, just saying that you're a Canadian and you agree (if you do). It's good for Americans to hear that our health care system isn't the horror show the political talking heads in the US say it is.

thanks, Laura!

Jessica said...

I love TRYING to decorate...you did a great job on those things!

I think this is my first time to your blog, feel free to stop by and say hello at my blog as well...feel free to follow my blog as well.

Have a GREAT day! :)