Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

I want to start out by thanking you ladies so much for your prayers for me when I was sick at the beginning of last week. They meant A LOT. I was better by Friday morning and able to travel, and the trip was such a great time of connecting with my family (and a little bit of shopping, too... ;) ).

The highlight of the trip for me was definitely seeing my nephew Devon. Devon was born on July 10 2008, two months early and with the condition gastroschysis, which is where the intestines develop outside the body inutero. He was in the hospital, undergoing various surgeries and treatments, until mid-December. There were some scary days when we were quite concerned for our little Devon's survival. And yet, not only has he survived, but God be praised he is thriving! If you didn't lift up his little onezie and see his scar, you'd never know he ever had any issues. So, without further adeau, here are some pictures of my far-too-adorable nephew


Having a sleep with mommy


Time to wake up!



Aunt Nikki having fun feeding him


MMm...ticktack containers are good...



Do you want some Aunt Nikki?



Snack time with Grandpa


I love this picture... my grandparents' dog was seeing little Devon for the first time. He was so smitten he jumped right up and started sniffing his head. Look at Devon's cute look of surprise!



The teething monster- Aunt Nikki was just trting to get him dressed and he grabbed her finger for a bite before she could get away.



And probably the cutest picture ever- it looks like he's giving us a peace sign! How sweet!

So Devon was definitely THE highlight. But there were other great moments, too, like:



Seeing Dominic, Devon's younger brother, coming to a hospital near you in June of 2009.




Getting to enjoy Dunkin Donuts (I do NOT like Tim Hortons, which is what we have here in Canada- yuck!)


Mmmm.... lattes!

Mom and me had a girls' day out of lunch at Ruby Tuesdays and shopping!

First, we had to stop here:



Because we saw this sign in the sky:


But we weren't there very long becuase the place was a bit too foo-foo shee-shee for me. Mom loved all the lovely French Provincial stuff, but for me it all looked overpriced, breakable, and stuffy.

Then we were onto Oldies But Goodies. Quite possible the cutest store I've ever been to.





All sounds good! They couldn't fit "cutest stuff you've ever seen" on the side of the building...

Oldies But Goodies has that great Old Country General Store feel, and you can actually go in and buy an old repo General Store sign if you want to! I was so impressed with their HUGE selection of beautiful reproduction antique and retro-style home furnishing and accents. Often I'm not a fan of repo stuff becuase it looks cheap and tacky. But the selection at Oldies But Goodies was very true to the name- it looked old, and it was good quality! And cute!

I love signs and they have a fantastic selection at this store. This is a lovely old repo of a sign for Elmira College. It was on sale for 35 dollars and if it had fit anywhere in my house I would have gotten it for sure!


They had whole walls of repo tin and wood signs. Look at the splendor!
Mom loved the store
Is this a confession or an accessory? Either way, it's cute!
They also had beautiful hand-crafted pine furnite in the rustic country style:
Look at that gorgeous dry sink- how cute! And very reasonable, I think it was like 250 dollars.
They know what's important!
As if the signs and the furniture weren't enough, then we wandered into the Kitchen section of the store. Girls... they had whole little kitchen set up with different themes. And they had a whole red/white/black kitchen! Oh no my covet machine was on in full tilt!!

So, I behaved myself and didn't spend much, but you know I had to walk out of there with a few cute things for my kitchen. Viola:



It's hard to see from the picture but there is a metal tab on the sign that allows you to hang it so that the sign is jutting out away from a cabinet or the wall, and says "coffee" on both sides. It is truly too cute, and I can't wait to get it up in my kitchen.

They make these beautiful repo pine signs there at the store. Just like an old diner sign. Cute!
Well, ladies, thanks for enjoying my trip home with me. If you're ever in the Elmira, NY area, be sure to check out Oldies But Goodies... you won't regret it!
Blessings on your week and thanks again for the prayers!

7 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my goodness he is just gorgeous. Look how nice he has filled out!! Another new one on the way. How absolutely exciting. What lovely pictures. I was drooling over that store you went too,,,oh my,,,,Looks like you had an amazing time.Thanks for sharing.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Oh my what an adorable baby!!! You all look so happy!!!
And your shopping experience!!! I would be in that store for hours!! Glad you had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

A fantastic, and refreshing voyage by the looks of things. Thanks so much for posting all the pictures -- especially Devon, and Dominic (in the flesh, literally!).

I see such a likeness between you, your mom, and Ashley. It is quite amazing. You are all just glowing being together. And you found such neat articles at the antique-country store.

The Lord answered prayer, giving you good health and safe travels. Welcome home!

Love Mom Mueller

Sarah D. said...

Great pics! I loved looking at them.

Lianne said...

Devon is absolutely precious! What a cutie!

Okay, if you are EVER in Alabama, you and I are going antiquing! I think we'd have a great time since you like sales as much as I do. That place looked like a lot of fun! I'm glad you are back home, safe and sound. :)

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Good Morning! Feel free to just copy the picture off my blog. I've had it for awhile, waiting for the perfect time to use it. I can't even remember where I saw it! But I do know, the blog had nothing on there about reusing the pictures. Enjoy!

Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

Looks like you had a great time! Glad you made it home safely.