Monday, January 5, 2009

Bugged Out

Well, just as I was getting over my sinus infection, on January 2nd Caleb wakes up and says, "I'm not feeling so well. I think I might throw up." And this is a big deal because my hubby rarely, if ever, gets sick.

Turns out he had a terrible stomach virus. I mean: B-A-D. My poor guy spent the better part of his day and night for about 48 hours in the bathroom. I did the best I could to nurse him without getting right in his face, as we marvelled that I had not also caught whatever he caught, and didnt' want to contract this ugly bug.

And then, just as Caleb was sitting down to eat his first meal (soup and crackers), a sure sign he was on the mend, I had a terrible feeling in my stomach as I ate my soup. I convinced myself at first that it was just the diet pop I had been drinking (I can't have very much of that stuff, and shouldn't have any!), and was determined to finish cleaning my bedroom after dinner. As the chore went on, I got increasingly sick feeling, and after sitting down with Caleb for about ten minutes, I was in the bathroom myself.

Now, I know that no one comes to a homemaking blog to hear graphic details about the flu virus, but let me just tell you that without a doubt this was the most violent bug that I have had in memory. I'm sure I had something worse as a kid, but since I can fully remember, this guy takes the cake. Riotous is the word that comes to mind. Terrible is the best descriptor over all.

I am definitely on the mend but am still light-headed and weak (and considering I've had nothing in my system but gingerale and a few crackers for three days it's no wonder) and am useless for anything productive. I did manage to sign on to email today and see if there were any fires to put out, and do this blog entry, but as soon as I click "publish post" it's back to the couch for me. My beloved has been so sweet and nurturing during my sickness, probably in part because he experienced it himself so fully, but my house is really in need of me to get better, and better before the end of the day so I can at the very least put the clean dishes from three days ago away!! I have thought more than once on the goodness of God's timing that Caleb and I did not get the flu at the same time.. that would have been literally impossible.

Back to mending... I pray all of your new years' were much more "well" than ours!

7 comments:

Tara said...

I had the SAME thing last week. It was horrific!!! It took several days to start feeling normal again. Get well soon!

OhLookADuck said...

I am so sorry for you both. We had something a few years back that was so awful we all count time by it. Since it didn't seem to have a name like "Swine Flu" or what have you, we call it the Martian Death Flu. Horrible.
I wish I could send you some soup and a fluffed pillow!
Health-filled blessings to you,
Karen

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Sorry you both have been so sick! I remember once when my hubby and I were both sick with a stomach virus and the only thought at the time was, "Thank God we have 2 bathrooms!" Hope you're up and feeling better soon!!!

Lianne said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! Start back eating s.l.o.w.l.y...! (But blog quickly! I miss your wit!) :D

Sheila62 said...

I'm sorry Nicole all I can think about is if you were at Grandma Goch's and she would ask, "Gonna throw up, Gonna Throw up?' Somehow just by asking it always seemed to make me throw up. I am so sorry your under the weather and I am praying for God to touch and heal your body with His perfect strength. Let His joy be yours and His Love be the healing balm that soothes your soul. You are so loved and I love your wit too! On another note, I had the joy of holding our precious Devon. I told him how much his Aunt Nikki loved him and how blessed he is to have a beautiful aunt like you! Get Well and I am praying for you!
Much Love,
Aunt Sheila

sunshine said...

So sorry that you were sick! And hubby too of course.
That, unfortunatly went though our house as well. 3 of my 4 kids had it. I was spraying Lysol so much that the ozone layer above our home has a huge hole in it.

Glad that you are on the mend. Sorry I've missed a few of your blogs. I'll catch up in the next couple of days!
Ciao for niao....
Laura

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I hope you are feeling better -- both of you. Check out today's post on Home Economics for tips to make you feel better while recovering. Taking care of the family during bouts of flu and stomach ick are all part of homemaking. But, I'd just as soon skip the stomach bug! It's a good thing you can't get germs through the net. :)

Do get well soon.