Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tag, I'm It!


Well, I must officially be in blogland now because I got my first "tag" today from my new friend over at Walking on Sunshine, the Colonel's wife! Because it's all about Christmas, I'll do the text in green and red. If you are one of my "friends" you are tagged, and if you don't have a blog yourself(Sarah, this means you) feel free to post in the comments. In fact, I want everyone who reads this to leave their list in the comments if they don't have their own blog. Yay!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? So often I do bags, but I'm going to try this year to do wrapping paper because I think it's more special and beautiful.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. Growing up we ALWAYS had a real tree. My first year of marriage I was indignant when Caleb suggested we get a fake tree. Just as I finised my "we must have a real tree or it aint Christmas" rant, he looked me in the eye and said, "Nicole, we don't have a car, we don't have any money and we don't eve have a vaccum cleaner to clean up the mess." That was the shortest argument we had our first year of marriage, as I quickly responded, "Ok, let's go to Walmart and get a fake one." Now it's just too convenient, especially as we live in the second floor with a narrow hallway.

3. When do you put up the tree? December 1st (or thereabouts).

4. When do you take the tree down? New Year's day. I looove Christmas, but as soon as it's over it's like... take it down! Last year I couldn't even make it to New Years, but I htin this year as life is slowing down I'll probably leave it up until Jan 1.

5. Do you like eggnog? Bleaaagghhh. No. But my hubby loves it. Funny story about Eggnog in Canada: Everything in Canada is labeled both in English and in French. THere is no word in French for "egg nog" so they call it "Lait du Poulet". For you French speakers out there, you'll know that means "Chicken Milk". Mmmm... sure sounds tasty, don't it?

6. Favorite gift received as a child? For me, my favorite gift was the time that we spent togethre as a family. Both of my parents worked very hard, and Christmas as one of the times of year we would slow down ad spend time together as a family, making cookies, watching Rudolph, and playing monopoly. Another tradition was always to go see a movie together CHristmas day. Those were always my favorite gifts.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My dad. He always says he doesn't want anything, and I never know what to get.

8. Easiest person to buy for? My husband's pretty easy... he always has a running wishlist on Amazon.com

9. Do You have a nativity scene?
Yes, a beautiful one my mother purchased for us our first Christmas. It's on the piano right now. I cherish it!

10.Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, and that's on the "to do" list this week for sure. It's going to be a Christmas letter rather than a card, with pictures, etc, if I can ever get around to it.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I don' tknow... mom used to buy us clothes growing up and, as parents often do, she would sometimes get it "wrong" as far as my "style". What can I say, kids are brats.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Gotta agree with the colonel's wife on this one... It's a wonderful life. which I just discovered in the past year or two. I cry everyime I watch it, it is such a beautiful story of self-sacrifice, character, community, and the impact one life can have on so many.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Into december this year I'm afraid.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
If by "recycled" you mean "Take it to the thrift store directly" then yes ma'am. If you mean regift it... yeah, probably. I'm not very sentimental when it comes to stuff like that.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
We always have an all-appetizer Christmas eve dinner which we always enjoy. And then Christmas morning Caleb makes breakfast, and we have big cinnamon rolls and thes bacon-cheese crackers he makes in the oven and juice and coffee. Yum! Mom Mueller's Christmas goodies are pretty awesome, too.
1
6. Lights on the tree?
Yes ma'am, compliments of my hubby who is tall enough to get them on the tree.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Oh, all of them, although i find myself singing Silver Bells a lot and I looove "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus".

18.Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Growing up we were military and didn't live around extended family most of the time, and we cherished our tradition of Christmas at home with just us. Caleb and I have carried that over and now we always do Christmas eve and morning just the two of us and then we head over to his parents' for CHristmas day and often stay over night and do boxing day together (Canadian thang, my American friends). My parents live too far away to travel on Christmas.

19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Morning! Come on! But we do have a tradition of opening one gift on CHristmas eve, and for Caleb and I the past three years it has been a season of Twilight Zone. I know, sounds silly, bt it's our new Christmas tradition and we love it.

20. Person you think will not do this?
I doubt FreeMommie and Delina have time for this, sarah has to type sideways with one finger but she might do it all the same. :)

Ok, Tag, ladies, you're it!

5 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Hello Armchair Housewife! So glad you did the tag...very interesting reading the way other people celebrate Christmas. My husband is actually Army, not Marines. The WM Christmas group I mentioned is actually a women's ministry group at our church that I attend! Also, if you don't mind leaving me a comment with your name so I can properly identify you on my blog list. Mine is Lois! Nice to meet you and am enjoying your blog!

Nana 2 four said...

I didn't get tagged but I love this blog!
1. wrapping paper no doubt
2. fake tree ( asthma...)
3. ususally the weekend of thanksgiving but read my blog for the story THIS year...
4. Usually a day or two after CHristmas.
5. eggnog? No, definitely no..
6. My barbie airplane when I was 11 ( i loved barbies)
7. My mom. SHe has everything.
8. Me!
9. Oh yes- I collect nativity scenes. I think I have 5 now. I leave them up all year.
10.Mail cards. More personal.
11.not a clue.
12. It's a wonderful life is a family tradition. But I still love Frosty.
13. Umm.. November.
14.Umm. no comment.
15. Turkey and Ham
16. oh. yeah. clear lights. lots of them.
17. Mary did you know..
18. Stay home - any traveling we do is just about 20 miles.
19. One present Christmas eve when the kids were little.
20.??

Hope you will visit my blog.

Beth Herring

Lianne said...

"Chicken Milk?" *GAG!*

Great blog! (I am not a stalker, I happened upon your link at Beth Moore's LPM Blog...)

:)

Armchair Housewife said...

I am so blessed this morning to see new names commenting at my blog! what a priviledge it is that someone out there is reading my silly old thoughts and life experiences. Thanks so much, ladies for stopping by!

Kim Safina said...

The Journey Continues ~

Hello Siesta of Beth Moore Blog!

My name is Kim Safina ~ yep, I am the one that Amanda, Beth, Melissa answered the Christmas questions for.

I want to share that I have sent you a special prayer today that you have a day filled with joy and peace. Enjoy your precious family and cuddle up with them!!

I look forward to seeing you on the LPM blog~
With "Heaven Bound" Blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com