Saturday, December 6, 2008

Living Room Transformation


It is a beautiful, snowy winter evening, with tiny delicate snowflakes falling gently on the world outside. God is very good, ladies, very good indeed. This is my first long weekend after the "switch" in hours at work and I am absolutely L-O-V-I-N-G it. My mind of course isn't used to this new system, so I keep having to tell myself to slow down, take it easy already, I still have two whole more days to work here at home, and when I realize it it's marvelous.

A prime example is I was out late this morning at the thrift store (I really don't live there, ladies... it's just a season haha) looking for an apron and a few sweaters, and the plan was to go grocery shopping afterward. I got in the car and thought "I really should have stopped to make a proper list" as I realized I was having a dinner this Wednesday, etc. Normally i would have just gone to the store anyway, because it would be midway through Saturday and there would be no time to go home and prepare. But today i realized- hey! I DO have time to go home and do a proper list! What a precious moment.

I got home from that drive, with the snow fallng outside, and my house more or less clean (becuase I had yesterday off thank you!) and my hubby was home and I went up to him and gave him a big hug and earnestly thanked him for providing for me so i could switch to a three day work week. ladies, this is a joyous season for me. Just had to share this and praise the Lord (and thank my hubby) publicly!

As I said a few days ago, I spent the mid-week evenings rearanging my livingroom. Here are some pictures from that task



This is what my livingroom looked like when I came home from New York: a huge piano in the middle of the room


THis is the horrid state of my book shelves, and if you look can see two chair stacked on top of one another in the corner with stacks of magazines on top of them. Eegads.


More ghastly bookshelves

In transition: Every book and CD we own (and um... we own a lot of them) was moved around about 3 or 4 times as I made my livingroom into a giant rubic's cube.





After going grey trying to figure out where to put my bookshelves, We put them in an L shape in the corner where those chairs had been. My books and DVD are finally organized. Sigh.



This is the same angle as above, but now the piano has a place along the wall. We put our tree up late Thursday night while watching It's a Wonderful Life. That movie makes me cry every stinking time.

Nearly all of our ornaments are either ones from our childhood, ones we made for one another, or gifts from others. We always love putting up the tree because each item is so special.


I am so excited about the piano not only becuase I plan to learn to play it, but now I feel like i have a "mantle" for the livingroom. I have bigger plans for the mantle than this, as I sort of just threw the stuff up there Thursday night, but I am happy about hw the wreath and the garland look.


I plan to do a proper Christmas decorations post when it's all up, but this is a hint and is my "absentee" note for why I haven't blogged in days.

6 comments:

Sarah D. said...

the living room looks AWESOME! you did a great job and the Christmas decorations are great too!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Everything looks pretty. Nice job in rearranging things to make room for the piano. I found you over at Warm Pie, Happy Home...enjoyed your comment! Could relate that sometimes we feel so overwhelmed by everything and so many people have blogs where everything is so in order. Things will come to you, don't worry!

the voice of melody said...

I'm glad you found a nice place for the piano. Now you have a piano AND mantel. It looks great! :)

Christy Lee said...

I just came across your blog when I was leaving a comment for RuthAnn (Warm Pie Happy Home -- I really look to her posts for inspiration!) and I thought I would say hello. I have 3 blogs, my main blog, one for my holiday addiction and one that I'm using to keep better track of budgeting/finance. I'm not very good at anything domestic yet but I'm learning!! Your blog was interesting and I'll be back to check it out again!

Christy Lee
*~Petals and Pine~*

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you that you got a piano, the apt looks great. be serious about learning to play, take lessons. gotta go clean ash's as devon comes home tomorow.

Angela said...

That was my first impression when I saw the piano, 'oh, she has a mantle now',lol. Beautifully deocorated...