Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Housewifely Reads


Still recovering from being sick, still at work, still no time to really sit down and download my pictures that I took with my new camera. I have off until next Tuesday after today, however, so I should have time this long weekend to ge some "real" blogging done.

In the meantime, thought I'd share the first batch of books I got from my hubby for Christmas. This is the first year that Amazon.ca failed us and didn't get us the goods by Christmas, so I got my first box of books yesterday and Caleb says there are still more to come (to which I told him he was spoiling me absolutely rotten!). I'm so super excited about all of them. If you have read any, please leave your comments on them.

The English Housewife by Gervase Markham This book is an awesome, rare gem that I came across while searching on Amazon. It's a book written in the early 17th century by a landed English gentleman on all the practical matters concerning housewifery. There are chapters on cooking, "physik" or medicine, clothing, food storage and preservation, beer and wine making and preserving, and other sections detailing the required attributes of a good wife or, as Gervase puts it, a "complete woman." I have torn into this book with a hunger, and am l-o-v-i-n-g it. I am amazed at how much I agree with Markham's assertions about what makes a good wife. I would have assumed the pages would be full of things like "she should never speak unless spoken to" or "ought to consider herself chattle" or other mysogonistic ideas we (I believe wrongly) assume were always being put upon women in days gone by. Instead, it's (so far anyway) just good, sound, biblical advice on how to be a good helpmate to your husband and keeper and manager of your home. I can't wait to get to the "recipes" section, that ought to be a hoot!



A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove by Laura Schenone Another book I came across on Amazon, this is a book that attempts to tell the history of North American women through the cookbooks and recipes they wrote down and used over the centuries, starting with early native women. Thus far I have only read the introduction, which was surprisingly and refreshingly positive in its look at the traditional role of cooking in the lives of women, although there were some paragraphs that made me roll my eyes a bit from their feminist perspective. I'm looking forward to this book as a great window into the day to day lives of women of the past.
Called out of Darkness:a spiritual confession by Anne Rice Yay! I'm so glad I got this one. If you remember my post about Anne Rice, I was excited to see she has returned to faith and become a follower of Christ and had now dedicated her writing talents to serving the Lord. This is her spiritual memoir, and I've only read the first couple of pages but I know it will be a good one.

I will properly "review" all of these when I finish them.

Did any of you get any good books for Christmas? Do tell!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Beverly Lewis. I love her stories that are taken from the Amish. My daugther bought me two of them. I can't wait to start reading them!!That first book you got sounds REALLY interesting. I'm going to have to check it out.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

The books sound interesting! Have a safe and Happy New Year! So glad for friends I've made this year on line!

Sarah D. said...

I received The Promise: God's Purpose and Plan for When Life Hurts by Jonathan Morris. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Sarah D. said...

Oh, I also got a baking cookbook and a knitting book!

the voice of melody said...

Have fun reading all these books! They sound very interesting, I'd love a peak at the first one.

Many sweet blessings!

Elizabeth said...

That first book sounds awesome. I love books like that, but had never heard of it. I hope you will blog about what you are learning from your books so we can all have a taste of them. What a wonderful Christmas gift.