Thursday, November 13, 2008

Second Hand Armchair

Because I got everything in the picture below for less than 35 dollars (and that's Canadian!):


For a closer look:

Lots of bulbs for both decoration and for gifts I am making



And the really fun find: Green dishes.



I have been wanting to get some kind of holiday glassware. My MIL has a great set of cranberry colored holiday dishes that I would love, but when I saw this green glassware, I got excited too. And I don't know if you can see the price tag, but the plates and goblets were 1.00 each. Better still, yellow tags were HALF OFF the day I went in so I got these puppies for 50 cents a piece.

To you blue blood ladies with really great taste, these may seem tacky, and I'll hand it to you that they are sort of outdated, and it's lots of GREEN. But, I submit to you that, when paired with a white table cloth, and white accent dishes, like this perhaps:



that they will just look festive and fun. And notice I also got some green vases which will be great for table decorations through the Christmas season. I'm excited! And I just l-o-v-e-d this pretty little red dish, I guess it's like an hordurve stand or a mini cake stand or something. What ever it is, it will look so cute as the sole red accent on a table of green. Don't you think so?



To, to sum up: Go to thrift stores! Don't waste your money on junk made in China when you can get one of a kind goodies for way cheap (and in this case, the thrift store was MCC, which does missions and charitable work around the world, so extra bonus).

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm not an expert on colored glass tableware, but some of it can be more valuable than you think. My parents had a tiny little bowl that isn't nearly as attractive as what you bought at the Thrift store. When my father had his house appraised after my mother died, we were astonished to find that this tiny bowl was worth hundreds of dollars.

Whether they turn out to be collectors' items or not, I think your dishes look very festive.

Elizabeth said...

I just realized hundreds of dollars sounds like more than I meant. I should have said it was at least a couple of hundred dollars. Even so, that's far more than we thought this little bowl was worth. My father wasn't even thinking that would be part of the appraisal, but the appraiser headed straight for it over other antiques we thought were more valuable. You just never know.

Armchair Housewife said...

Hmm.. now you've got me wondering! :) In all truth, I would love to learn more about antiques and collectibles so I could know how to spot them in thrift stores. You know there are just tons of gems out there that get sent to TS's and the volunteers don't know better and just put them out for a dollar (eg the pair of sterling silver and turquoise earing I got a few years ago for two dollars). But I'm always like, "where do you start?" because there's SO much to learn about antiques in order to know anything.

Thanks for the tip, Elizabeth, and for liking my "finds", too. :)

Jane P said...

Lovin' the green glasses! Good job!

Armchair Housewife said...

Hey Jane, nice to see you! When are you going to post some of those yummy mexican recipes? Actually, I am in the process of creating a recipe blog to go along with this one, so as soon as i have that up, I want you to share from your recipe bounty with us. ;)

I can't tell you how pleased I am that people are liking the green dishes. I must say I thought people would chuckle at me. Hee hee...

Jane P said...

Looking forward to the recipe blog!

A table setting using the green glassware along with gold-toned accents would be perfect for a Christmas meal.

I'll post the recipes in the next couple of weeks but first I have to prepare each one, carefully measuring out the ingredients. I've gotten so used to eyeballing the amounts that, as of right now, I really couldn't tell anybody how much of what goes into each dish with any degree of precision. A recipe for green sauce that starts, "lots green tomatoes and, yeah, some serrano chiles, a few sprigs of cilantro, oh, don't forget the garlic..." isn't terribly useful. :-(

Now, how often does that that store get new inventory? Happy shopping!

Armchair Housewife said...

It's funny that you say that, Jane, because that is *precisely* what i do. i'm really a "blob of this" and "pinch of tha" and "add this 'until'". I have to make a point to write down the measurements of things in order to share a recipe.

Look forward to the recipes when you do get them sorted, though! :)