Friday, November 21, 2008

Prayer Request

UPDATE: Thank you ladies, every one of you who prayed for me. I mean it when i say I could feel your prayers lifting me up. I certainly did cry when I said goodbye to bunny, and as I was cleaning up his area after he left. But I put on some Christ-centred music and really meditated on the goodness of God, and I feel at peace. Caleb said bunny was very calm and relaxed when he left him at the vet, which was really my biggest prayer.

thank you for your sympathetic words and your prayers. I have total peace that this was the right thing to do, and your encouragement means so much.

God bless!

Hi Ladies! Just a little prayer request that might sound funny to some of you, but it's important to me all the same. I have decided that it is time for us to put our little pet rabbit to sleep, and this has been a very hard decision for me to make. Not so much because of any deep emotional attachment i have to him (in fact, almost the opposite- I have been so frustrated with him in the past few months as he has been destroying my wall that I have wanted to make sure I wasn't putting him down for the wrong reasons), but because when it comes to something like life and death, even for a rabbit, I want to be sure I am doing the right, and righteous, thing.

Bunny and Stuart

We've had our little guy for nearly five years now, and he was a "second hand" bunny when we got him. A friend of ours had him as a pet and really didn't want him anymore, and we adopted him. He's been a cute, fury, sometimes affectionate little creature, but in the past year he has also been increasingly destructive, tearing at our walls and also becoming less diligent about "going" in his cage. Having to clean up rabbit droppings off the floor every day has been a considerable source of frustration for me (not to mention Caleb) and really downright disgusting if you think about it. And so we end up keeping him in his cage, or one little fenced off area of the room, and that's no way for a little creature to live in our estimation (and his estimation too: he hates the cage).


And then he started getting sick this summer, and since that time we have spent, literally, 100s of dollars on this rabbit. Firs tit was a hair ball, then an absess on his lower jaw. Then he got an upper respitory infection, and then that turned into an eye infection as well. And hten, when we got back from the cruise at the beginning of the month, the poor thng had a huge absess on his face, on his upper lip. 200 dollars later the vet gave me some antiobiotics and I have been administering them to him for over two weeks now, but the absess is not going down, in fact it's only getting bigger, and now his eyes and nose are running again, which means more infection.

The hard part is that he is "healthy"otherwise; he is eating fine, he still hops around, he's not on his little bunny death bed or anything. But 1, we made the decision after htis last atrocious vet bill that we could simply not afford to spend any more money if he got sick again, and 2, the drugs don't seem to be helping. What's more, he so hates taking the medicine (twice a day) that he won't come to me anymore. And it's no wonder, becuase the absess is all in his mouth, God love him, and i have to stick this tube in there, and I know it's painful becuas eit's te only time I've ever heard him make a noise the whole time we've had him. So it kills me.

So, with a heavy heart, I went to the vet today and said I thought it was time to put him down. And they were very great, understanding, and gentle about it, and very accomodating. I called Caleb, in tears, and told him to let bunny out of the cage, let him run around the room and eat all the wall he can, and give him some treats. When I go home I'll sit on the floor with him and pet him, give him some apple which he loves but can't have too often, and then send him with Caleb to the doctor to go to sleep and go to bunny heaven (and i don't care how theologically incorrect that is... ).

For those of you who don't care for animals or do but can't imagine all the fuss over a rabbit, just say a pray for me anyway, that I'll have peace. I can't stop crying today at work, and yet they aren't tears of regret. I know it's the right thing, but it's still painful.

Thanks for your prayers, and go love your pets for me today!

"Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? And yet not one of them is forgotten before God."- Luke 12:6

4 comments:

M3isMe said...

We don't have bunnies, but we have cats, dogs, hamster, fish, and birds (as well as children) and we know how much it hurts. Our beloved cat got hit by a car in September and we had to put him down. The family grieved terribly even as we all understood it was the right decision to end his suffering. We are pet guardians, not owners and, as such, we have a responsibility to look out for their best interests. They don't understand the suffering. You are definitely in our prayers.

Armchair Housewife said...

Thank you so much, M3! That was very kind of you to leave such an encouraging and empathetic note. I trust God is merciful and won't let bunny suffer unduly during his procedure.

OhLookADuck said...

I love Luke 12 that you put at the end. How perfect for keeping it in context. God loves His Creation!

I will be praying for you. I've cried myself silly over my sweet canaries at different times, my children have cried over frogs and of course we've grieved over the larger critters as well. There is no limit to the love God allows us to feel for things, no matter what they are, it seems.

Peace and comfort to Bunny.

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Nicole,
I can't tell you how sorry I am about bunny. I know how much you loved him and me too. He liked my voice remember. Love mom