Friday, November 14, 2008

7am Challenge



Over at The 50's Housewife, I was reading about The "Making Your Home a Haven" challenge hosted by The Homespun Heart. I found the challenge too late in the week to really participate, but Monica's challenge to herself to be up and at the table in God's Word by 7am challenged me to do the same thing.

To say I am not a morning person is like saying Charles Manson has a grumpy disposition. That is, it is a gross understatement. It isn't that I like to sleep until noon or anything; in fact sleeping past 9am, even on the weekend, makes me feel terrible. BUT- as far as functioning and doing much of anything productive other than dragging myself out of bed and getting ready for work, first thing in hte morning is a mammoth challenge. Part of it is that I have very weak eyes. I know this sounds like a funny, lame excuse, but it's true. I really struggle with tired eyes from working in front of a computer 6-7 hours a day (plus more at home if I'm emailing or blogging ,woops!) and I can wake up in the morning if the week has been a busy one with just sore, aching eyes. To say this is a discouragement to something like early morning reading is, again, an understatement.

BUT- I have totally NOT been abiding like I need to be. And let's face it: starting the day in God's Word is increasing your chances of being mindful and meditative of God's presence and purposes for you in a day by about 98%. So, I'm up for the challenge.

Here is the first picture I took this morning. Oh yes.. bring the caffeine on, baby.



ANd this is the second picture I took, accidentally of the couch, becuase I was a half-asleep zombie.



Taking a cue from Monica, I lit a candle, and here's my table tableau.



And this is the centrepiece i had mentioned in another post. I know it's simple, but for me, it's a first!



Sorry, btw, of the terrible quality of the pics. My camera is a real "piece" and it was dark in the house at 7:00am, even with the light on.

I'm also following Delina's challenge over at Girl.. to memorize 1Corinthians 13. Any other takers for either challenge? Or are all you other ladies so spiritually disciplined that you're already up at unspeakably dark hours in God's Word and knowing whole chapters of God's word by heart?

3 comments:

50s Housewife said...

I'm not much of a morning person either. I get up about 6:00, but I sure would like to snuggle back under the covers when my alarm goes off. :) My poor husband just makes me a cup of coffee and doesn't say a word until I've a had my shower. :) He IS a morning person.

Your centerpiece looks very pretty!

OhLookADuck said...

I'm willing to be in. I have a list of things I need to do first thing in the morning and I don't mind getting busy first thing, but I get so sidetracked with so many things I leave out my Quiet Time/Devotions. I need some challenge like this. At God's Word by 7a. Got it.

Uh, do you, like, send out a daily reminder or something? ;-)

Karen

Armchair Housewife said...

LOL, Karen. Would you like me to call you in the morning? Haha...

Starting tomorrow morning I'll be back to 7am quiet time (I let myself sleep in on the weekend because there's so much more time in the day for me to get the quiet time in) and I'm going to make a note each day as to whether or not I did it (for the first week). For accountability you could either leave a comment on my blog saying whether you did or not, or post one on your blog. Either way, let us know how you're doing.

And Mrs. 50s, thanks for the encouragement. It really means a lot to me when ladies whom I feel i have something to learn from encourage me as I'm trying to work at being a better homemaker.

Blessings, ladies!

-Nicole