Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dogs. In Sweaters.

I never thought i'd be one of those people with a little foo-foo shi-shi, high maintenance dog. When I was a kid, if we had a dog it was one of those mix-breed muts from the pound. But, as fate would have it, I have turned into one of "those people". Caleb and I wanted a dog from the time we got married, but it wasn't until our fifth year of marriage, when we moved to the current apartment, that we lived anywhere we were allowed to have pets. A few months later, long story short, we can't find even one small dog in any of the pounds in a 100 mile radius (which you can search for now thanks to the internet). We realized we'd have to buy a dog if we wanted one.

After looking online for a while, I wandered in to a pet store and met Stuart, who broke my heart in two. I know pet stores are bad, so no need to tell me if the idea offends you, it was unplanned and I just had to have him. I knew he was mind when, after pacing the mall for an hour weighing he pros and cons, I walked back into the store to find a couple asking to see him. I almst shouted out, "he's MINE!" So... now he is mine. :)


Stuart, his first day at home with us

Maltese are high-maintenance dogs, period. You can't put them out back or leave them out on a leash. They are people-centred dogs, and don't have much use for anything in life if they aren't enjoying it with a person, and preferable the one or two people they are closely bonded with. I've actully learned a lot of spiritual lessons from Stuart, namely that I see his deep desire, his passionate need to be with me at all times, and I think about how that's the kind of passion I want to have for God. I also see the uncoditional love he gives us, and see how humans have a lot to learn from dogs when it comes to loving others.

Also, he's cute.

So, now it's winter (we got him in the Spring) and not only do we have one of those dogs... but now we have realized he needs a sweater. I know.. I know... if you aren't a dog person yourself, or more specifically a small, high-maintenance dog person yourself, you will think, "Sweaters for dogs?!!" and then procede to regurgitate your last meal. But in truth, poor little Stuey is such a teeny thing, with not an ounce of fat to keep him warm, that he shivers outside and is in fact in need of some clothing to keep him warm.

Stuart, freezing on Sunday morning and wrapped in my sweater


Thankfully, providence (in the form of my sister in law) stepped in and I haven't yet had to bow my head in shame and go into a store to purchase a dog-specific clothing product. Thank God for blessings small and large. Beth pointed out to me that she still had some baby clothes from her dolls when she was a kid, so we sorted through and found this little blue sweater that, with a few alterations, should do the trick.

aww, come on... it's pretty cute
Stuart with "auntie" Beth

To have a laugh, we dressed up the inlaws' poodle, Maple, in the matching vest and, much to their dismay, sat them down for a couples' portrait.
Cousins... identical cousings, all the way...

I know... it's cute, funny, and nauseating all at the same time. Such is the life of a high-maintenance dog owner.

2 comments:

simplysanctified said...

Stuart is too cute! I have a Maltese and they are the most fun-loving dogs who get very attached, to say the least! :)

Armchair Housewife said...

Last night I sewed up the sleeves and sewed a button on so it fits him better. I must say he looks *really* cute, especially all bundled up in my arms last night.

What can I say, I am totally in love with my puppy!