Monday, October 6, 2008

Anxiety Attacks and Shower Curtains

still from Psycho's famous shower scene

I really don't like buying big ticket items, and I really really don't like buying big ticket items retail. I am an avid fan and believer in second hand stores, and when I get into the big retail stores and have to look at anything that is going to cost me more than 15 dollars (that shows you my definition of 'big ticket'), I hem and haw and hem and haw and then hem again some more until I either feel like passing out and end up running out of the store itemless, or I hold my breath, buy the stupid thing, and then struggle with buyer's remorse for variable lengths of time. What helps is having Caleb along; if he says let's get it there's no problem. But on my own I'm useless.

I have been wanting to get a shower curtain since we moved in this apartment in April. I had a nice enough green one in the old apartment, but I left it for the bachelor friend of mine moving in as I knew the green wouldn't match my yellow wall in the new place. I actually fancied that I would sew myself one once upon a time, but as that has proved about as realistic as my career with the New York City Ballet, I started thinking about buying one again a few weeks ago.
So I went into a Zellers two Saturdays ago, and looked at the shower curtains. I just about threw up when I saw the average price was 29.99. Thirty dollars for a shower curtain made in china by some poor kid who probably didn't make a penny (literally) for the whole thing. I hemmed... I hawed, and finally I just got so overwhelmed that I walked out.

I repeated this process at a Home Outfitter this past Saturday (where the average price had jumped five dollars).

Finally I broke down on Sunday and, against my usual judgment call, I went to Walmart. There I found a great shower curtain for only 20.00 I then hemmed and hawed about buying a matching rug set but stopped myself and said, Nicole it'20.00 just get it and be done with it. So I did.

the elusive shower curtain


the bath set, as best as I could photograph it

I'm pretty happy with it myself. I'd like to get a hand towel ring and install it next to the bathroom sink and hang a pretty brown towel to match the rugs, but I couldn't stomach another 20 dollars for those two items. The best part about the shower curtain is that I can now have people over and not be ashamed to have them go into the bathroom and see through the clear liner at the mildew-stained ceiling of our dates-from-the-middle-ages shower ceiling. But that's content for another post.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I figured I'd comment so you'd know someone had read it - you are so awesome - I think I might soon be addicted to your blog... way to go! This explains why you don't email me anymore... lol
Lynne

Anxiety Attacks said...

Anxiety attacks developed when sufferers, when they look back, can see that there was a period of stress in their lives. In addition, even right from childhood, they may feel they were always nervous and worried about things. Stressful events can strike any time to anyone, and if there are enough of them anyone can be vulnerable.